BUN levels?

cheapskate
on 2/25/22 9:26 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Has anyone had to deal with a high BUN level? Mine just came back high and I'm not sure what to do about it. Unfortunately my surgeons support is t an option :(

White Dove
on 2/25/22 9:47 am - Warren, OH

Most likely dehydration. Increase your water intake and cut down on salt.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cheapskate
on 2/25/22 9:55 am
RNY on 03/30/15

That's what i was reading but then it said high protein can cause it. I can't reduce my protein because i get so foggy i almost pass out

White Dove
on 2/25/22 10:55 am - Warren, OH

I have kidney disease and did have to reduce protein, drink more water, and eat a kidney friendly diet, which is very different from what I used to eat. I eat very little red meat, avoid potatoes and grains, almost no eggs, and also avoid foods with high potassium like bananas and oranges. Your doctor will run more tests and guide you on the best plan for you. But more water is almost universal.

catwoman7
on 2/26/22 5:51 am
RNY on 06/03/15

P.S. you are right, though - high protein diets can cause dehydration. That's probably why our clinics really push meeting fluid requirements

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

hollykim
on 2/25/22 11:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 25, 2022 at 5:26 PM Pacific Time, cheapskate wrote:

Has anyone had to deal with a high BUN level? Mine just came back high and I'm not sure what to do about it. Unfortunately my surgeons support is t an option :(

you don't need a surgeon for this issue. Your medical doctors should be able to advise you.
s

Surgeons are just cutters.

cheapskate
on 2/25/22 12:11 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

Most bariatric surgeons have a team for after care and a team that you can consult as long as you want. My doctor now has 0% knowledge of Any "different"

needs an RNY patient would have and i do not have access to one who does without driving hours

White Dove
on 2/25/22 12:53 pm - Warren, OH

Your doctor can order standard blood tests and advise you on hydration needs. This is not treated any differently because you had weight loss surgery.

cheapskate
on 2/25/22 1:29 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

Great! That's what I needed to know since he didn't.

hollykim
on 2/26/22 9:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 25, 2022 at 8:11 PM Pacific Time, cheapskate wrote:

Most bariatric surgeons have a team for after care and a team that you can consult as long as you want. My doctor now has 0% knowledge of Any "different"

needs an RNY patient would have and i do not have access to one who does without driving hours

If by saying " your doctors" you mean your pcp, well, he's right. RNY pAtients aren't different in the way their other systems work. Your BUN levels were not affected when you had surgery. The levels will test for what is going on with you today.

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 58 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 360 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 302 views