Has anyone who's had an RNY developed any auto-immune disorders?

lisa
on 11/12/22 6:32 pm - Leander, TX
RNY on 04/04/05 with

Since my surgery in 2015, I've developed numerous auto-immune disorders. My family does not have a history of AIDS, but I just got tested positive for Lupus after asking for the test. Before that it was HADD, before that was Sjogrens. Before Sjogrens it was Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Pre-surgery, I was fat and was pre-diabetic with high blood pressure. I just want to know if anyone else has had any similar experiences?

I hug my horse every day :)

Lisa
Pre-Op - 254 lbs
Goal Weight - 154lbs
Today - 138lbs

FinallyBecomingMe
on 11/13/22 5:41 am

Hi Lisa !

I had RNY with the exact same comorbidities as yours pre op about 12 years ago and like you have been fortunate enough to keep my weight stable and below goal.

I also post here and read on pretty much a daily basis ... so to answer your question I have seen several posters develop MS and one person discovered she had lupus. Now the question is would they have gotten this stuff without Bariatric surgery ?

Its a pretty small population who has autoimmune disorders here and they dont seem to get real bad quickly or struggle unduly with these conditions ( or maybe they just dont tell us about it ).

I can definitely see how this would be super frustrating for you and I hope others will share more experience. Hugs

catwoman7
on 11/13/22 6:41 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I've been on this site for about eight years and don't recall seeing any posts on this - so not sure. It may or may not be related to your surgery. I'm so sorry you're dealing with all of this!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

GracielaSusana
on 11/14/22 3:23 am - Ft Myers, FL
RNY on 06/07/21

I had surgery 18 months ago. I have multiple autoimmune disorders, but I had these before surgery. It took years to get a diagnosis and they are still coming up with new ones. I complained for years before anyone took me serious and my blood work showed positive. Autoimmune is becoming more common because they are better at diagnosis .....

I have sjogrens with neurological manifestations, which causes me the most issues with myelitis, looks like MS. It was a neurologist who first diagnosed that. I also have Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus and thyroid. I lead a normal life with a good rheumatologist, neurologist and pain management doctors on board. A whole team is very important as internal organs can be involved. I take autoimmune suppressants, and sometimes heavy steroids to keep it in check. My sister has autoimmune too, except hers are different.

Christina4176
on 1/19/23 3:42 am

I am almost 20 years out and have been diagnosed with both MS and RA. I was 6 years out when diagnosed and I'm not sure the surgery had much to do with it. However, treating as a post-op is challenging in many ways.

My prayers are with you.

TamNae
on 1/25/23 10:04 am

Christina,

Wondering how treating illnesses that will come and go 10 years down the road is one thing that keeps me from moving forward. Do they treat you as they would a person whom did not get the Bariatric surgery? I am at my 4 month visit to have the bypass but this one question sticks in my head. What if I get sick down the road and getting this surgery prevents me from getting the care I need to help keep me alive. Silly thought but I have 2 kids under the age of 12 and I want to be here to watch them grow.

Most Active
Recent Topics