Any advice for couples who have WLS a few months apart?

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/08 3:37 am - Canada
I looked for a board titled 'WLS tag teams', but it seems that this board is as close as it gets for couples and WLS. I hope there are others in our situation. I had WLS just over 3 months ago, and my wife is next in line in about one month. I know that up to know it has been hard on my wife to see my success, while being at her heaviest weight, which has led to a few difficult moments. I was wondering if anyone here has gone through the same experience and would have any advice for the 2 of us, now and after we both have been 'sliced and diced'?
Chujo
on 7/13/08 11:06 pm - Clatskanie, OR
I am the spouse of a WLS patient. I am the so called normy?? It helped us to go to some counseling together to check on our relationship, our comunication , our thoughts and fears. We try to talk out our feallings, Sometimes there do not make sense to the other but they are still real. We did surgery as a team . That made me feel a big part of this adventure. Things are going well. 14 days out and down 15lbs. My wife feels great and I feel a part of this adventure. Hope this helps Taylor
Nanco97
on 9/12/08 2:05 am - Bloomingdale, NJ
My husband had RNY 2006 and has lost 235lbs.  I just had lap-band in June 2008.  Those 2 years were very difficult for me.  He was always heavier then me but that changed very quickly.  Our usual roles in our relationship just didn't work anymore.  It was tough and still is.  I think that since you are both doing it basically at the same time you may not have the same issues I had.  Just try not to compare yourselves to one another.  Good Luck. 
Heather M.
on 9/20/08 6:18 am - Rosedale, MD
Carlos, my husband and I were both banded and our surgeries were 4 months apart from one another (same as what yours will be apart).  It made for great support a home for one another.  It was hard for my husband at first as he was banded before me because I could still easily eat and he couldn't, but after my surgery the playing field was leveled.  The only difficulty now is that I am more successful than he is and when I am trying to help and encourage him he takes it as nagging.  I can't control what he eats outside of the house or buys and brings home.  Unfortunately I'm a social eater so when he's home and brings something bad home with him I tend to pick at the bad stuff so it's not good for me.  Otherwise I could go almost all day without eating much at all.  To be completely honest, the surgeries have not changed our marriage at all and to be even more honest, if you have a good marriage before surgery, it should still be good after surgery.  Definitely be there for your wife for all the hard times in the beginning and just provide her with all the support and knowledge you have to share!  Good luck to you both!

Revised to VSG (6/11/09) weighing 253...

Most Active
Recent Topics
TESTING
DonaldDuck · 0 replies · 5285 views
Support for Non-Surgical Members
Cathy W. · 0 replies · 5964 views
Not a lot of support happening here.
JLS_NJ · 2 replies · 7161 views
No One posts here...
luvmyhubby55 · 1 replies · 6908 views
help needed
konieckursu · 0 replies · 6942 views