My husband is having VSG tomorrow!

jks37
on 10/26/08 2:10 pm
My husband is having Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy tomorrow!  He is a little nervous.
I'm not sure what to expect about his recovery, his various post-op diets.  He hasn't bought any vitamins or protein shakes yet.  I am not sure if I should buy them (I'm not sure what he needs) or if it is better if he does it.
Anyway, I am just wanting to talk to others in the same situation.
amystiles
on 10/27/08 1:55 pm

Best of luck tomorrow! For my husband's surgery it was an US surgery/recovery. I do help my husband with his vitamins (purchasing, organizing pill box, reminding him to take them) plus preparing food for him and shopping for his grocery needs. Especially after he came home from hospital. I recorded his diet/weight routinely- there's NO way he was going to do that. You may want to wait and see what he can tolerate or what the nut 's orders are for coming home. Many items I bought to have on hand when we came home wound up not getting used (chicken broth, applesauce, unflavored protein powders).

He had RNY in April of this year, we are almost 7 months out. I also attend monthly support meetings with him. I even went once when he couldn't go!! It was a HUGE transition for both of us but life is getting more routine and a little easier.

I am unsure about the VSG, but for us, his new life  is truly a team effort. He tells me often he couldn't have done this or been as nearly as successful without me. He has gone from 276 to 179 and I am very proud of him and all his work, dedication, and lifestyle change. One thing I wasn't prepared for was the emotional aspect of weight loss surgery- I can count protein grams and ounces of water, but how do I handle my husband having a hard time letting go of a favorite college sweatshirt? THe clothing thing was and still is challenging. We did visit a psychologist together too, to deal with some of emotional changes. He still thinks of himself as the fat guy, not his new body image. I guess it will take time.

I am CONSTANTLY learning new things. I want him around a long time! I still read WLS books when I have time and reread as the journey transitions in to a new phase. I read posts here on the obesity help board. I have learned a great deal here.

Again, BEST OF LUCK to you and your husband! Amy

jks37
on 10/27/08 2:37 pm
Thanks for replying.  It really means a lot.
Surgery went well.  They had to repair his hernia so it took way longer (and I hope not too much more money).  He was able to walk around which surprised me (his cancer abdominal surgery in 2000 he couldn't walk without help for a long time).
I had to come home to be with our four kids (youngest is 7 months) for the night.
Thanks for telling me about the emotional changes.  We've been married 16 years and have been through a lot and we are in a really good place.  However, our 16 years has definitely taught me that hard times are often just around the corner.   He just turned 40 and who knows what this life stage will bring.
You sound like a wonderful wife for your husband.  I'm glad he appreciates you.  I'm glad that you feel like buying his stuff was helpful.   I was unsure, because I didn't want to overhelp and prevent him from taking responsibility for himself.
He is 440 lbs and his goal is 275 lbs.

Most Active
Recent Topics
TESTING
DonaldDuck · 0 replies · 5285 views
Support for Non-Surgical Members
Cathy W. · 0 replies · 5964 views
Not a lot of support happening here.
JLS_NJ · 2 replies · 7161 views
No One posts here...
luvmyhubby55 · 1 replies · 6908 views
help needed