How to tell husband...

born2bfit
on 9/18/09 4:08 am - Lansing, MI
I've begun investigating WLS and am just attending my info class next weekend.  I'm in a quandry about how to broach the topic with my husband.  I've never so much as mentioned the issue.  We've been married for only 5 years and in that time I've gained and lost weight numerous times, including a 55 pound loss 2 years ago.  I'm not morbidly obese or maybe it would be easier.  I can just hear him now saying its ridiculous to take such risks when I am not that heavy.  The fact is, I have sleep apnea, serious GERD with barretts esophagus, high cholesterol, etc so even tho my BMI is only 36 I know i would greatly benefit from this.  I haven't been in my weight range in 19 years since I quit smoking 3 packs a day and gained all this, replacing one addiction for another. 

So my question is, how do I (or did you) tell a spouse that this is what you wanted to do (especially if you were only like 70 pounds overweight) and help them to understand the benefits?

thank you!
(deactivated member)
on 9/18/09 2:33 pm
graciesmommie
on 9/29/09 9:18 am

My BMI is at 36. I am 5'2". My husband is 6'5" I truly look like rolly polly ollie next to him. He loves me anyway. My husband and I have been married 15 yrs. I have high cholestoral, high blood pressure, GERD, two hernias, sleep apnea, fibromyalgia and a very low libido. I am scheduled for surgery on Nov. 11. I know exactly how you feel about telling family members especially your husband. I thought my husband would flip but it was the total oppisite.  He is the first to stand up for me know when it comes to naysayers. They infuriate him. He knows what I have been through. I had a bad episode with my heart last school year. Facing a heart catherization at 36 was not fun. I have high blood pressure. I have had hernia repairs done twice but they didn't take due to where I carry my weight. He knows I don't eat a lot I just can not get  it off. The heart doctor explained that my weight is the most dangerous kind...hereditary. That makes it very hard to run from. I told the heart doctor that I had considered investigating gastric bypass. She was infavor of it. She told me that I would be a very good candidate. My husband was so happy to know what this surgery had the potential to cure all of the other the risks didn't bother him. Speak from your heart. You want a long enjoyable life together not one bound by medications, heart risk, etc. I adore my husband. I would be lost without him. He feels the same. He just wants me to feel better.  As I am sure your husband does to!

Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
born2bfit
on 9/29/09 9:29 am - Lansing, MI
 thank you gracies mom!!! I actually did already told him and he was very receptive.  the first thing out of his mouth what no, he didn't like this one bit..but that was fear..after i told him all my reasons and recounted the years of struggling and the health issues, he said he would support whatever I wanted to do...and we went to the class on saturday together so he could learn more first hand and from a professional..i think that made him feel better as well.

Now my only concern is that they told me that my insurance company is one of the hardest to get approval for when the bmi is below 40, even tho i have gerd (with barretts esophagus), sleep apnea, high blood pressure and am pre-diabetic..that really burst my bubble and i was depressed all weekend. I got that out of my system and am trying to be positive again..I have about 2 weeks to finish gathering some documents and then they will submit my paperwork to see if its approved..if i don't get approved i will appeal...and i guess i will keep gaining weight if i have to but I'm going to get this fricking surgery. LOL

I wish you the best of luck with yours!!!
---tina---
on 1/10/10 8:02 am
Born2bfit, Stay positive a keep in mind each insurance company is different. I too was a afraid of not getting approval for my WLS with a BMI of only 39.6  and my health issue are gerd,high blood pressure on the rise and your typical knee,hip and back pain plus family history of weight issues I believe I have sleep apnea also but haven't been tested for it. But to my surprise i did get approval and have a surgery date for Jan 28th. My doc told me if my sleep apnea test came back positive that would be pretty  much a go. I made the appointment  for a sleep apnea test just in case my insurance company denied my first attempt but then canceled it when i did get approved for it wasn't needed and after everything is said and done my health issue will go away after WLS...sometimes its all in the way the doctor writes it up in my case i had a letter from the surgery doc and a letter from my family doc that was sent in to my insurance all at the same time. It really is to bad that they put up such a stink about it we have had health ins. for years and years and if it wasn't for my kids going into the clinic every now and again we would never use it...I Figure they own me...
GOOD LUCK TO YOU
born2bfit
on 1/10/10 8:05 am - Lansing, MI
that post of mine was old...all approved now with date scheduled...I bet you didn't notice it but its the same exact date as your surgery...wooo hooo!!!  What time is yours? Mine is at noon.
Most Active
Recent Topics
TESTING
DonaldDuck · 0 replies · 5285 views
Support for Non-Surgical Members
Cathy W. · 0 replies · 5964 views
Not a lot of support happening here.
JLS_NJ · 2 replies · 7161 views
No One posts here...
luvmyhubby55 · 1 replies · 6908 views
help needed
konieckursu · 0 replies · 6942 views