Recent Posts

princess_tish
on 3/15/04 3:28 am
Topic: RE: Helping my partner
Katy, I couldn't have said it better myself. The fact that your spouse has to acknowledge the fact that you are going through every part of it with him/her shows the love that is there between the both of you. It strengthens the bond and takes your relationship to another level. Glad to see that someone feels exactly the way I do when it comes to my better half.
Katy G.
on 3/11/04 5:13 am - Seattle, WA
After a little over two years after the surgery, I think the most important piece of advice I can give is this: ask the person who had the surgery if you can be part of the process of keeping track of the ESSENTIALS of post-op and longterm care. I say this because it is something, I believe, that involves BOTH of you, in the sense that you love each other enough to go through it together, and at many points, you need both of you to get through it. Simply, the "postie" may feel that it is all "their business" and, in fact, not be doing very important things like taking iron, getting dexascans or whatever test your doctor orders to check bone density, drinking water to guard the overworked kidneys that are so because of the surgery, etc. Finally, this whole issue only comes up because you love your spouse and should not have to lose him/her sooner or even watch him/her suffer with NEEDLESS problems, due to lack of following directions, if you will. I feel this is a time that a spouse should, at the least, be able to speak up and express their not wanting to lose their spouse and know that the "postie" is involved in proper follow-up care and has a doctor or nurse who will give the fundamental information, as many people have no clue as to even what questions to ASK, let alone that this is a big change of life. Well, enough out of me. I appreciate any input and responses. Signed, Crazy in love with my husband and very happy together. Want to stay that way. Katy
princess_tish
on 3/10/04 2:53 am
Topic: RE: Spouse afraid of being left behind after there is an new you?
Toddra, I understand your mother's concerns because I had the same concerns for my husband, but my biggest concerns were in his severe sleep apnea, his high blood pressure that he has to take 3 medications for, and his bronchitis that creeps up on him from time to time....all due to his weight. Once I weighed the pros and cons of the surgery, I realized that he would be better to have the surgery and increase his chance of being around for us longer.
princess_tish
on 3/10/04 2:33 am
I, too, want to be supportive in every way I can, and I hope that I have been. It has really been an emotional rollercoaster for the both of us, but I continue to make myself available to help in any way I can. My husband had the surgery on 1/23/04, and so far has lost about 60 lbs. So I think one of the most supportive things a spouse or mate can do is make sure that he or she is getting in all of the protein and fluids that is needed on a daily basis. Along with that, make sure that your mate is getting in enough calorie intake, which is also important. Other than that, just be there for the bad days as well as the good ones. You will both be better off in the long run when the biggest of the suffering is over.
Tina H.
on 3/6/04 5:59 am - Chicago, IL
My spouse was my greatest source of support just simply by being there for me. He helped me to raise the funds, make all of the arrangements right down to childcare, went with me to every appointment and stayed with me before surgery. He was still sitting there waiting for me to wake up when I came out of surgery. He helped me afterwards by doing the dressing changes and helping me to put the binder on. At home, he did everything he could around the house so I wouldn't strain myself and made sure my body got the rest it needed. He is so incredibly supportive through ALL of this, he even makes special trips to the store to get the vitamins and desired food that I need. Anyone who has such a supportive partner should be so very grateful. Good luck to your partner and you!
Faye O.
on 3/2/04 9:37 pm - Middleport, OH
Hi Carrie: Mine has also expressed concerns, but he realizes that I am not healthy at this weight and want the surgery primarily to improve my overall health. He felt much better after he went with me to a couple of support group meetings and met the Doctor. Now, he is very supportive and has actually booked a cruise for us both for Feb 2005 as both a reward and incentive to help me along. Good luck to you in your journey, and just keep reassuring hubby that everything will be even better than it is now. You'll do fine. Faye
Patricia W.
on 2/18/04 7:59 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Topic: Helping my partner
I want to beable to help my partner in the best way I can as she moves towards making her journey to "the other side". We have done alot of research together. What suggestions could you give me to help her? What do you feel is the most important way to show my support?
toddmaye
on 1/22/04 11:03 pm - KINSTON, NC
Hi Carrie, My mom has the same reservations esp since I have a little girl that could be left behind. I have gotten a little scared myself. B
Glenn S
on 1/22/04 9:47 am - Pecatonica, IL
Hi Carrie. My wife also had some concerns but was there for me through the tough times and now the good ones. This surgery is something you shouldn't do alone. And it only made me realize how lucky I am to have her and I tell her so every day. In the shape I was in she might not of had me long anyway. The surgery only lengthened our time together regardless of what the future holds.
carriebarton51
on 1/22/04 1:26 am - Gainesville, NY
Topic: Spouse afraid of being left behind after there is an new you?
My husband has some slight reservations about me having this surgery....He says he loves me just the way that I am and will always love me no matter what I look like.....But it isn't so much about my appearance at this point, I am not doing this for vanity........(well maybe just a little) but for my health and my overall physical condition. I was just wondering if anyone elses spouses, had given them any inclinations toward this??
Most Active
Recent Topics
TESTING
DonaldDuck · 0 replies · 5291 views
Support for Non-Surgical Members
Cathy W. · 0 replies · 5969 views
Not a lot of support happening here.
JLS_NJ · 2 replies · 7166 views
No One posts here...
luvmyhubby55 · 1 replies · 6913 views
help needed
konieckursu · 0 replies · 6948 views