How Do We Approach People Who Are In The Same Condition We Once Were

PapaJack
on 8/20/11 11:41 pm, edited 8/20/11 11:55 pm - VA
I was thinking of have a shirt made up saying "Ask me about my Weight Loss Surgery".

I feel most people do not know how life chaging this is. My own doctors never said anything.

Sleeved July 26 2011
Dr. Clark Newport News VA
Married 40 years
2 Kids, 2 Grandkids
1 old dog        

redsnapper1975
on 8/21/11 3:03 am
I agree with waiting until the subject comes up.  I bit my tongue yesterday when a woman was buying some of my old clothes at my garage sale.  I wanted to say, "I was just wearing these clothes in April and May and look at me now!!!" but I held it in.    I did pause to think about how much I've changed in the last 3 months- I felt for this woman who was sweating profusely and having a hard time getting around...
~ Kim

MILLERSDAUGHTER
on 8/22/11 6:51 am - Lewisport, KY
VSG on 04/07/11 with
I've thought about this a lot.  I see people that I know could benefit from the surgery and just wonder if they know that there is a reasonable alternative out there.

I always knew that WLS was out there--I'm a nurse.  But I never thought I would do it.  I had just gotten to the end of my rope and started reserching the band.  I didn't really want to do that but felt that was my only choice.  But I came to that decision on my own.  If someone had approached me about it, even a friend, I would've been offended.  I would've felt the same way as if a newly converted Christian presumed to witness to me; if a "friend"  called me about their new found "business opportunity"; or if some one I barely knew came up to me to ask intensely personal questions for the sake of gossip.

I agree that if asked, we should talk about it.  I have offered to my PCP and my Dad's PCP to talk to any patient that they think is interested.  I believe I have a responsibility to be gracious to others in need of info just as all the wonderful people on OH were gracious to me when I was making my decision.

One of the responses said to start a blog.  That's a good idea.  I also like the T-shirt idea but wouldn't do it myself.   Both of these ideas put you out there and indicate you are open to help.  But to approach the subject with some one that YOU think needs the info......No way.  Just cause you think they need it doesn't mean they are ready to hear it.

There's a lot of scientific studies on behavioral change and what motivates people.  One that I've used in my practice is the Change Model.  We are all in various stages on this journey and you can tell someone but if they aren't ready to hear it, you can get a response that ranges from indifference to violence.

If you think about it, even those of us that have made the change are still struggling in these different stages.
File:Stages-of-change.png

Never, never, never give up!
...though she be but little, she is FIERCE...
A Midsummer Night's Dream
LaughingCow
on 8/22/11 7:02 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
"Unsolicited advice is criticism."

Back away from the fatties.    And just know that "subtle" attempts to work it into the conversation will probably be transparent and seem either weird or critical.

Just my opinion as a person who is in the same condition you once were....
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
Mr Mom
on 8/22/11 1:26 pm
I hear you loud and clear! When i see a morbidly obese person riding a scooter in the grocery store I want to evangelize and educate too. I feel so badly when i see someone that is suffering the way I did for so many years. But like you I'm unsure it will be received in the spirit that I intend it. So to date I've only talked with a handful of obese folks about my WLS and the benefits I have seen. I do think that WLS has come out of the shadows quite bit over the past few years though. I recall when it was some kind of clandestine type surgery that only the wealthy had (sports coaches, actors, TV personalities, etc). Now it's pretty well known so when I do talk about it I almost always get to hear a story about a friend, sister, brother, etc that they know that also had WLS. Listen for your opening and one day you will get to share your experience and help someone. Remember, even if it's just one person that you reach and help to take that step it still counts big time!...
Craig  

Heaviest:406 | Surgical Weight:366 | Current Weight:290 | Goal Weight:250

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 460 views