I think I am addicted

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 12:25 pm
Ohh you know what else? There is a recipe book that people have recommended to me and it has recipes for the stages after surgery. Each recipe has instruction based on the stage of post op (pureed food, etc) and the type of surgery you had. I don't think it has VSG specifically but I am going to  follow the RNY recipes. I know it has DS in there though. I am going to need a recipe book because I can't cook for the life of me... There are about 140 recipes...

http://www.amazon.com/Eating-Well-After-Weight-Surgery/dp/1569244537
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 12:10 pm, edited 12/3/11 12:11 pm
I haven't bought the broth because it's nasty. Someone posted about other flavors like mexican something and garlic something. I am going to google it and find it. Also they keep talking about Unjury broth of some sort that has protein in it. I want that because it kills  2 birds with 1 stone; liquids and protein. What vitamins do you have that are chewable? My multi, vit C, Calcium, and b12 are chewable but the others are not.

I bought a ton of jello and pudding (i probably can't eat the pudding right after). The popsicles said sugar free but they had sugar alcohol and 4 carbs... hmmm... i bought them anyway. I read that unsweetened 100% apple juice is ok and other 100% fruit juice is ok as well. Iced tea (diet), Powerade zero, strained cream soup made with milk (might be after the first week)...

What brand protein powder is that? i think you might have body fortress because it said 52g on the outside and it's for TWO scoops. Each scoop has 27g. If I'm wrong and you found something that has 52g in ONE scoop, let me know because I want it!!! I don't like the taste of it very much though BUT I found premade Premier brand shakes that have 30g of protein and low carbs/sugar. They taste good. You can get them at sams and costco.

Someone was also eating watery cream of wheat I believe...
ducie77
on 12/3/11 12:22 pm - TX
 I know it is nasty! Do you know where they are getting that unjury protein from? I have looked in walmart and target...maybe I need to go to GNC or the vitamin shop!
I have chewable iron, b complex (not sure if I need it), vitamin D, along with the others you mentioned. 
I didnt know that I could have apple juice or tea. I will go to Sams to get some things. What brand popsicles did you buy? 
The protein that I have, I just looked per scoop is 27 so thanks I would have been way off on my intake. 
Thanks soooo much for your responses * I just love you all*
Trust And Believe That God Never Fails!        
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 12:32 pm
ehhh that's just what i've read and in combination with what my iinstructions say. I don't want to give out wrong info. You know everyone has diff instructions and opinions. I don't know what the heck I'm doing!!! I just bought some random popsicles from the grocery store that said sugar free on them. If you find some good, carbless ones let me know.

I don't know why, but I think unjury is only online. One of those brands people talk about is only online and I think that's the one that is really expensive too. I was trying to look up the flavored broth and I can't find it! :( 

My b complex is not chewable. I got it from sams. My instructions say to only take it once every 3ish days. I don't think I have a vitamin D but my calcium has D3 in it... I don't know if that counts. I should probably be taking some D. This is becoming really expensive. I've spent some hundreds already just trying to prepare. I guess I'm saving on fast food though. Does your multi not have iron in it or did they tell you to take extra iron?
ducie77
on 12/3/11 12:58 pm - TX
 My nurse coordinator called me after i took some blood work and told me I needed 65 mg of iron, 5,000 mg of D3, and the calcium citrate. 
EXPENSIVE YES!!!!! I have spent alot already as well, not to mention I am paying my cobra insurance out of pocket, i got my vitamins from the vitamin shop and they where expensive as well. 
Yes I do have to take extra iron, I had a blood transfusion about 3 1/2 years ago so he dont want to take no chances with my iron levels falling during surgery. My multivitamin have some iron and vitamin D and calcium. I cant wait until my appointment so I can get some clarity on what all I need to take and what I need to do.

My doctor dont do the 2 week preop liquids though...I have to be on clear liquids 2 days prior to surgery and after for 2 weeks (I think).

I am happy to share this journey with you. If I hear anything or get any other info when I go to my doctor I will be happy to share.

PS: Have you joined the December Sleever group?
Trust And Believe That God Never Fails!        
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 1:12 pm
My dr doesn't do the 2 week preop liquid diet either. I think i would die. I think I just have to do 1 day of liquids. I did join the group :) My B12 was very low but my surgeon didn't say anything, my primary care did... :( 
edelu
on 12/3/11 3:12 pm - los angeles, CA
Trader Joe's has a packet of chicken broth in sachets.  It's called savory chicken broth.  If you mix that into plain chicken broth it's yummy, really good chicken flavor.  Unjury chicken just didn't do it for me plus i like my soup hot and that doesn't work with unjury.
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 3:15 pm
You can't heat up the unjury or it doesn't taste good heated up?

Did you ever do anything besides chicken? I'm finding all kinds of broth/bases. Beef, chicken, ham, beef rib, and asian soup stuff. I don't know if this stuff is allowed though. I don't even know if broth and base is the same thing.
edelu
on 12/3/11 3:26 pm - los angeles, CA
Yeah you can do whatever flavor you want but veg and beef are kinda nasty.  Unjury clumps over 130 degrees also it just wasn't the same bang for buck chicken flavor as TJ'S broth. They are different but allowed.  You could try to find a good tasting miso also.
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/11 3:34 pm
Thank you :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views