Your view, carb-wise, on fruit?

DanaSue
on 6/17/12 8:29 am
I know some are scared to death of carbs in fruit, but I have eaten fruit since I was able to eat solid food.  I sometimes put 1/4 of a banana in my Unjury chocolate shake, I eat strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, oranges.  All in moderation of course.  If I eat cottage cheese, I add a couple chunks of pineapple.  Eating fruit has not slowed my weight loss at all. So, to each his own, I have chosen to keep eating fruit because I love it. and it has not slowed down my weight loss progress.  I do not however drink fruit juice.

VSG 4-2-12

Krazydoglady
on 6/17/12 8:40 am - FL
I avoided fruit until I went into maintenance.  In maintenance, I am eating 2x what I did during weightloss to maintain my weight. It's not an issue for me, but I'm not a big craver to start with.  YMMV. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

amyl0528
on 6/17/12 8:44 am, edited 6/17/12 8:44 am
I've lost 44 pounds since May 1st (surgery date) and I eat all types of fruit, nuts, yogurt etc.  Basically, I've lost almost a pound a day since my sleeve.  I don't think fruit has hindered my WL.  Prior to surgery, I didn't get that way eating tons of fruit.  To each his own I guess but for me I will not give up my fruit, IMO they're important in my diet.

VSG Surgery May 1, 2012
KathyA999
on 6/17/12 9:10 am
I avoided most fruits, but did eat berries, esp blueberries, but strawberries here and there, and cantaloupe is a bit lower in sugar, I think, although very little nutritional value there, relatively speaking.  Fruits really high in sugar such as oranges, apples, grapes peaches plums, etc., I avoided and still do.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/12 7:04 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/16/13
throw like five blueberries in a vanilla protein smoothie.  yum!
grapefruit isn't bad either if you don't mind it's sour taste without sugar.  low glycemic load too so you don't get hit with a big sugar rush.

i use this site for finding out all info on food nutrition it's super awesome.

nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1908/2
loverofcats
on 6/17/12 9:25 am
I love fruit, but didn't add any into my plan until I was pretty close to maintenance. Now, I have about 3 oz of berries with my morning yogurt and/or some berries in my protein shake after a workout. I limit the amount that I eat, to 2 fruits/day, because of the carbs and I just don't have a lot of room left after I eat the protein that I need.

Everyone has a different sensitivity to the insulin response, but berries are low on the glycemic scale compared to some other fruits. I wish I didn't have to limit the fruit, but I like being at goal, more than I like fruit. Some things, just are not worth it, especially during the losing phase.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Mom78
on 6/17/12 9:29 am
VSG on 02/10/12
I blend frozen strawberries, blueberries, and a 1/4 banana into my protein smoothy every day.  Its not something that makes me crave things. I also have fresh fruits in my plain greek yogurt.  I didn't get fat from fruits, I got fat from pasta, rice, bread, and chocolate, lots of chocolate and pastries...  I don't eat any of that now.

I've had absolutely no issues with my weight loss, 7 lbs from goal.  But each person is so different.  It has to be in your plan!
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

NUJoyce
on 6/17/12 9:41 am - Hayward, CA
I was advised only one serving of fruit per day and never watermelon since it has a lot of sugar in it.   Most days I don't eat fruit but I am finding myself eating at least one serving now that it is a summer time.   It is just me and my daughter who is 4 y.o. so I don't cook differently but  I make sure that she has fruit everyday in place of a carb on the dinner plate.

seeingmyselfthere
on 6/17/12 10:22 am
VSG on 03/07/12
my NUT  had me add fruit intake as a form of good carbs. i'm very pleased with my weight loss - but what's most important is following your doctors/NUT's plan.  i was a little apprehensive about incorporating fruit initially, because i had heard it would add too many carbs and possibly slow weight loss - but that hasn't been my experience.  so my suggestion is to follow up with your surgeon/NUT and get their opinion on the matter before you do anything.

hope that helps. :-)

Mom78
on 6/17/12 11:31 am
VSG on 02/10/12
So it looks like a 1/2 cup strawberries is about 6 carbs, if its not a trigger and your limiting carbs then balance out the rest of the day.
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views