One year post op yesterday and experiencing something new.

Nancybefree
on 6/1/13 7:56 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

Happy one-year anniversary!

I wonder if you were having trouble digesting the fried pickles.  Were they breaded and greasy?   What were the numbers on those?

Hope you're feeling better today.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Calking
on 6/2/13 5:23 am
VSG on 05/31/12

Thanks.

So far not too bad although I am afraid to eat or drink things at this point.  I am going to be very cautious today and for the next few as well.  Not really sure about the numbers on the pickles ... I really didn't add them into anything as I am not sure how to.  They were breaded but not at all greasy.  I probably ate more of those than I should have but if I were to be honest it isn't the first time I have had them since surgery.  Actually I have had them probably four or five other times without issue.  Although at different places they are usually made basically the same.  It is my one guilty pleasure that I have allowed as I know that the pickle itself isn't bad and you really can't get too much breading on a little pickle chip.  Plus since I am trying to add some weight I figure an occasional serving of fried pickles (by serving I mean about 10 chips give or take a few) wouldn't be that bad.  So far it actually hasn't helped me gain anything.  I am still loosing weight or at least maintaining weight.

This sleeve is great.   

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

morgans
on 6/1/13 9:13 pm
VSG on 06/18/12

Congratulations on your surgiversary!

Some days I get full on a cheese stick, some days I could nibble all day. A lot of that is hormonal related (works for guys too). If you've been laid up and not eating much your body is not really operating at optimum level. I'd say there's nothing wrong - it's just a different thing. :)

Calking
on 6/2/13 5:31 am
VSG on 05/31/12

I haven't had this issue before.  That is why the post.  I have been a year post op at this point ... a year and two days.  But with that I have over done it on occasion but usually within a couple hours things are good again.  This fullness lasted way longer than ever before.  

But of course as you mentioned I have been laid up a lot more and therefore a bit less active than in awhile.  Perhaps that is the difference.  I don't really put much into the idea of it being hormonal though.  I have been on this forum for more than a year and have read how many women have issues with their hormones and emotions especially early on.  I never had once had anything resembling emotional turmoil or anything that I could attribute to hormones.

I will just hope that I can chalk this up to a different thing.  There have been a lot of different things lately though and without going into them I am getting quite nervous that something major medically speaking is on the horizon for me.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

grannymedic1
on 6/2/13 2:52 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I am9 months out and have days where I can eat very little. I have decided it is just my weird thing. For some reason when those day**** I just cannot get anything down without feeling very uncomfortable no matter how easy to eat, how slowly I eat, how well I chew, etc. If I try to pu**** I will end up with it coming back up. On those days even normal sliders don't work well. The other thing I have noticed is that if for any reason I am not extremely well hydrated I will be extremely tight. Since I do very well most of the time I have decided not to panic. If it should continue and become very troublesome I would see your surgeon. Otherwise, relax.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

tigerbelle
on 6/2/13 5:27 am - LA
VSG on 05/06/13

I am only 4 weeks out so can offer no true advice based on experience...the only thing that kept coming to mind when reading your posts was "listen to your body"...I think that is the most important thing and what I hope to learn during my first year post-op...congrats on the one-year anniversary

Calking
on 6/2/13 5:42 am
VSG on 05/31/12

Thanks.  The really bad thing is that if I were to listen to my body I would likely eat less and loose more weight.  At this point if I were to loose about 10 more pounds I would actually get to the point where I would be considered underweight.  I really want to stay in the normal range and I am already at a point were I am below being in the middle of being normal.

I need to keep my weight at least at maintenance but really want to gain.  I have never been in this unusual situation.  This really is a huge first for me.  Although I have basically been at this same weight for about 6 months now.  But if I were to listen to my body I would have to eat less.  This would also mean that what I would eat would need to be higher in both calories and proteins.  I actually eat real peanut butter daily as it is ... and I am talking about 4 tablespoons per day.  Most people probably wouldn't ever imagine doing that but even having done that now every day for the last several months I am still maintaining weight.  It is really cool.

Overall I am very excited about what I do eat and can eat but at the same time won't allow myself anything like a slice of cake or ice cream or anything that is high calories without any nutritional value.  That is how I know that so far I am and have been very successful.

Thanks for the thoughts.  I am likely going to be more cautious and try to make some different choices at this point.  Should be interesting.

Pobearsam7
on 6/2/13 10:46 am

You've done we'll ur 1st yyer way to go

Kelly                

Calking
on 6/2/13 1:18 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Thank you ... it looks like you are about to hit goal as well.  I know that my ticker says I hit goal at 140 but I am currently actually at 132.  It is weird.  I am buying boys size 14 pants now.  When I started this I was in a men's size 40 and wearing things a little lower than I probably should have.  It is weird to go from size 40 down to size 28 in men's and then finding those a bit too big and having to switch to boy's sizes.  On the plus side I am short especially on the inseam so the boy's sizes are actually perfect fits without any alterations.  I am loving that as I always had to deal with pants at least 2 inches too long.

Sure has been a very interesting year.  I would guess that you are only about a month away from hitting goal yourself ... give or take a few weeks.  Congrats on that.

Pobearsam7
on 6/3/13 2:50 am
132 pounds!!! That's awesome!!!! I were teen clothes too
Yep my 1yr is coming up soon in a couple of weeks

Kelly                

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op