It's like it's a ******' Contest...

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/13 7:44 am

There will always be debate about controversial things, carbs, fats, calories, surgeries, bougie sizes, and so on.  As long as people voice their programs and opinions in a reasonable way, I have no problem with it at all.  We find out about controversies in this way and gather information from each other.  In the end, we each get to choose what works best for us.  If people didn't share their viewpoints, programs and strategies, this forum would not be worth it to me.  I learned a great deal from listening to the voices of people that came before me. It is possible that someone new will learn from my voice. It is not my intention to quiet other voices, only to share my own. 

ParisGirl
on 6/25/13 7:57 am, edited 6/25/13 7:58 am
VSG on 04/25/13

Elina,  I think you're post was great and presented well.  I had issue with the original poster who said "Most programs would not advocate keeping carbs under 40 grams per day, however, there is a strong pressure on these boards that this is the most reliable path to goal." 

That is not true.

There is no pressure here.  If people feel pressured then they need to re-evaluate more than their diet.  They need to take a look at the person they are and how they came to make the life altering decision to have surgery AND who they involve in their decision making process (family, friends, NUT, surgeon, PCP, trainer, etc...).  I have seen no bullying on this point in the 9 months I have been on this forum.  

Continue offering your wisdom and viewpoints. It's appreciated and you're respected.

-Sandra

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/13 8:10 am

Thank you, Sandra.

I feel a strong need to pass on what has/is working for me.  I think that there are a quite a few people that can truly benefit from my research and experience.  I have no desire to convince anyone of anything, but I want to be a voice of what is possible and doable for those that wish to hear it. 

When hearing other voices I try to explain why I disagree without being disagreeable it doesn't always work and I am certainly not perfect, but most of the time, that is my intention.

stephanieplum
on 6/25/13 8:10 am
VSG on 06/27/12

That's the beauty of the forum; to be able to freely express our experiences and opinions:). 

VSG on 06/12/13
I feel ya. I have told hubby that the sleeve size conversations remind me of folks comparing penis sizes. Those convos are.interesting, amusing, and generally pointless because just about any size can work if used properly. Furthermore, aside from choosing a doc we really dont have much direct control over what we wind up with. My take: as long as it gets the job done, whats the controversy?

Bottom line for carbs or for sleeve size - you gotta make what *YOU* have work.

That is one thing i am looking forward to on this journey - being able to LEARN and CONTROL my body and make it work for me. I have never had that experience before.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/13 8:18 am

Just want to say that in my book you are and have been a success for quite sometime!

stephanieplum
on 6/25/13 10:04 am
VSG on 06/27/12

Thank you!  Kisses on your forehead :)

Franette C.
on 6/25/13 8:49 am - GA
VSG on 06/29/12

Well, I appreciate all of you.  You haven't heard from me is about 8 months.  June 29th is my anniversary of my sleeve.  I have gone from 225 to 164 in a year.  The problem I'm having is I know when I'm full, I push the food away.  The next thing I know I'm nibbling, eating until I'm sick.  Not all the time, just when I have something that's really a favorite.  I loose control, the next thing I know, I'm doubled up in pain.  I'm not counting carbs anymore or protein.  I know when enough is enough.  Contridiction, even I can hear it.  I'm so confused and alone for so long that I've lost my drive.  My daughter Tracey Shackelford told me to write.  Someone help me.  I can't come this far and still keep the roll on my belly.

christinahelena
on 6/25/13 9:24 am - CA

Please DECIDE TODAY and right now to begin tracking everything again. Focus on dense protein first every time you eat and they'll be much less room for snacking! And decide if certain " favorites" cannot be  allowed in the house!  I think, even in maintainance " boxing in" a food is s good idea... For example, a local ice cream shoppe sells wow cow frozen yogurt. A 4 oz cup without toppings is about 60 calories and 12 carbs dependent upon flavor. I may go there occasionally for a child size cup, but i won't buy I've cream and bring it home. I cannot break into the ice cream shop at 2 am or keep eating it. So for me, it doesnt  mean I'll never have A portioned well thought out " treat " but it WILL be portioned and planned for ! I urge you to regain the sense of control that comes  from planning, measuring and journaling .For me, the out of control , need to graze feeling makes me feel very badly. It's mental... Get your head back in the game by pulling it out of the sand :) and I mean that most affectionately!

Christina

theshrinkingmimi
on 6/25/13 9:04 am

Funny thing about the bougie size debate...My doctor never mentioned bougie or size.  So I just don't worry about it.  I know that I am restricted and that my choices affect my outcome.  Period. I'm in charge.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 461 views