So hard to watch a friend failing her RNY...

acbbrown
on 7/12/13 11:41 pm - Granada Hills, CA

For a year and half after my surgery, I always knew I'd NEVER be one of those that gain weight back after surgery. And then **** happens. Granted, I didnt gain more than 25-30 lbs, but it could have been very easy to do. The only thing we can do to prevent that is to remain extremely vigilant about our intake, be honest with ourselves, and always be aware of our weaknesses so we can stop any kind of self destructive behavior before it gets out of control. None of us will be able to avoid all the junk food weve sworn off immediately post op - but as long as we have a plan, I think that's the key to staying in control. 

Being scared is a good thing. It's a reality that any of us could face at any point. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/13 11:49 pm

I agree 100% with every word you wrote.  I am very clear that what happened with your eating could very easily happen to me too.  There is nothing standing in the way of our regain except ourselves, our vigilance, and our ability to fight denial.  Every time I read a "re-gain" post, I always think, "There but for my vigilance, go I ".   It can happen to any of us if we let it. so a little fear is a very good thing.

sleevegirl
on 7/13/13 1:27 am - Austin, TX
Honesty with ourselves. That is such an important thing. I also think it's why you've reined it in. No matter what, you were always fairly honest with yourself. Love you.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Nancybefree
on 7/13/13 2:35 am
VSG on 11/21/12

That's why I read each and every regain post.  it's so easy to think you won't be the one who faces a struggle at any time during this journey.   I hope I'm as honest and intent as you and others have been when I'm faced with significant roadblocks. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Cwuddy
on 7/13/13 10:20 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12

I really appreciate your posts and your honesty!  I agree with you that being scared is a good thing and if people didn't post their honest experiences about when they slip up I think so many of us would be caught off guard!

The advice from the people on this forum has literally saved my life and helped me lose way more than I would have lost following my surgeon's plan....and hearing about how even the most successful people struggle has made me way more aware of how easy it is to fall off the wagon!  Thank you!

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

debk21
on 7/13/13 12:57 am - Mansfield, TX

My heart goes out to both you and your friend. I truly think that complacency is the enemy here.  I think that some people add something back into their diet and they don't see any change on the scale, and so they add another thing and another thing...until it starts to affect the scale....then they rationalize, okay, it's just a little and I still look good....so they keep doing what they are doing and before long, the number is significant.  I can see that happening to anyone (insert "me" if I let it) and it scares the heck out of me as well.  This is why I try to stay focused and vigilant with what's going in...I cannot let it slide!  I cannot become complacent!  This battle is forever, but it's so worth it!  (((Hugs))) to you both!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

mrsfrogdr
on 7/13/13 1:13 am

Confidence in our procedure and our ability to work our tools is very important in losing weight. But humility regarding the fragility of or success is mandatory in maintenance

Big Frog Kisses,           
 DAWN   

sleevegirl
on 7/13/13 1:24 am - Austin, TX
Oh man. That's tough. It's obvious that she simply hadn't dealt with all of her issues. I'm so sorry for her. Learn from her. Support her when she's ready. Don't push. Xoxo

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Nancybefree
on 7/13/13 2:00 am
VSG on 11/21/12

I'm sorry for your friend's relapse and hope that she can reverse it.

It's hard for me to imagine eating in that quantity after WLS, but obviously it does happen.  A very sobering lesson there.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

happyteacher
on 7/13/13 2:18 am

I think we all worry about this.  It does not take too long post op to realize that if we want to we can eat around our sleeve.  It is hard to watch somebody else slowly revert back to bad habits.  

I hope all of us can avoid this.  I hope your friend finds her way back to the path of health, HT.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views