Can too much water stretch your sleeve?

Alese M.
on 8/6/13 2:05 pm - FL

I saw your post this afternoon.  I was going to ask the very same question....I think I understand the science behind it.  I didn't  drink or eat following taking my 8pm meds with NO Food, I was fine.  9pm I took more meds with water, of course, then tried to drink the rest of my RTD and 2 oz of peaches and I am OVERSTUFFED.   I am worried that the old habit of finishing my food will come back to bite me as it did tonite.  BTW, I didn't even finish the RTD but did the peaches knowing I was stuffed....

I guess I am convinced we can't stretch the stomach out, for now...But it will stretch later as people do gain wt.

alese

themexcellentone
on 8/6/13 2:48 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Your sleeve will not stretch that much.  As previously mentioned, the portion of your stomach that was removed is the stretchiest part.  Your sleeve will expand slightly but it will not stretch out as much as you think it will--it can't.

Also...try undereating your capacity.  Don't eat to the point of uncomfortable fullness--eat until you are satisfied.  You don't want to make yourself sick. :)

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Alese M.
on 8/7/13 5:56 am - FL

Thank you, that info was a great help.  I will be more careful but I am a newbie out since 7/3/13 so learning by mistake and reading all the fantastic info I get from everyone's input.

alese   8/7/13 4pm est

Calking
on 8/6/13 2:55 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Please do not be convinced that we can't stretch the stomach out.  I think you may have misread this.  Liquids on an empty stomach are just going to pass on through so they are very unlikely to cause any stretching.  Once you start over stuffing solid foods you can stretch things.  

Once a solid or dense protein such as chicken hits the stomach your pyloric valve will close ... if you continue eating and over stuffing you can indeed start stretching things.  

You should not have eaten the peaches but you already know that.  Now I want to pass on some advice that I received pre op from my psychologist which is when you make a mistake like that ... forgive yourself the mistake and move on.  Don't stress on it but also work hard on not letting it happen again.  

Also you should be getting in your protein first.  After protein comes vegetables and only if you have room for them.  Then comes the fruits and lastly the whole grains .(again only if you have room for them)  Usually people will find out that during the weight loss phase a huge portion if not all of your food will be proteins.  Beyond that vegetables maybe.  Most will not go with fruits or whole grains until in maintenance.

Please, if you take nothing else from what I am saying understand that it isn't OK to over stuff yourself especially with solid foods involved.  Also realize that only in the case of liquids such as water (flavored or not) or tea or other drink of that consistency on an empty stomach can you be comfortable in over doing it somewhat as it will pass through your stomach.  

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Alese M.
on 8/7/13 5:35 am - FL

Thank you Calking...are you California King?

Anywho, I did understand and my main problem that I have just learned was not to OVERSTUFF!

I am so fixated that I must be sure to get in the protein even if drinking it slowly all day.  Calking, I just had my surg on 7/30/13  so am a newbie and like a young child am absorbing any tidbit of information.  I connect with all info I receive. 

Today, no water for 30 min.  Made a smoothie (oops fruit) and now feel stuffed though I knew to stop right away so I wouldn't be too uncomfortable. I will regulate that in the future....I did put in it the fridge for a snack or whenever.

I knew there was a good possibility that we could stretch our new tummy b/c of all the bad stories out there of people gaining their wt back.  i promise to you and myself and the OH group, that will never be again!

Thank you so much again.  If you allow me to be your friend may I add you?

xo alese inFL

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 162 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 438 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 458 views