little confused

Mary Catherine
on 1/17/14 10:47 pm

An honest and well thought out answer Frisco. 

If I was buying a car and could have any model I wanted, would it make sense to pick the one with less power because the manufacturer does not have experience making one with more power.

Or would I be inclined to go with the manufacturer who has made one with high power and been very successful in doing that.

I have RNY but my surgeon makes a micro-pouch.  It is smaller and tighter than standard and has worked very well for his patients.  The original poster might be well served to shop around for another surgical group and find out how successful their patients have been with smaller sleeves.

jenny1188
on 1/17/14 11:34 pm - mount laurel, NJ
VSG on 03/03/14
Thank you!
Miss150
on 1/17/14 11:37 pm

Frisco- I'm a "visual" kind of person, and I like your diagram a lot.  I've been interested in these discussions on size ever since- well, I found this forum.  I have no idea what "size" I am- never asked, never cared that much- as if, knowing would predict my success or failure in this.  Your pie graph displays an important truth- that is- that everyones' plan has to be 100% solid- no gaps anywhere.  Lacking in surgical skill-- make it up in commitment and compliance.--get schooled so you are not lacking there.  It is in the HOLES within our program that the weight seeps in.  Thanks again for the picture!  Bonnie

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

mickeymantle
on 1/18/14 12:58 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

sometimes I think it is better not to ask the size of the guide , it is meaning less, the size of the sleeve is more important 

you wound not ask the surgeon the size of the scalpel he uses , the bougie is just a tool to help the surgeon size and shape the sleeve, but it is his skill that matters more

the sleeve is just a tool to help you eat the right amount , I would be more interested in what the surgeon food plan is and what the after care is , what support is available

any properly made sleeve will help you lose weight if you follow a good plan

eating 8-12 oz at 1 year out may not be a bad thing if you are at goal and eat the right food , 4 oz of protein and 4 oz of low carb veggies is not a lot of cal

there are people out there that had a 50 f that lost and keep off tons of weight , it might take a little more work but it is do able

if you decide you want a 32f thats fine if you go to a very skilled surgeon that is comfortable  doing that size sleeve , but talk to him/ her about possible problems eating and drinking at first  and how many leaks he gets 

do you research don't pick the first surgeon pick the best one

i would much rather have a well made larger sleeve than a crappy made small one   ,

go to your surgeons support group and talk to people about how they are doing , weight loose , problems (all surgeons have patients that have problems , or lose slowly)

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

jenny1188
on 1/18/14 4:27 am - mount laurel, NJ
VSG on 03/03/14
Thanks. That's very helpful.
dianne220
on 1/18/14 1:12 am - TX
VSG on 10/02/12

I didn't ask but found out a year layer that I got a 40f.  I lost the 100% EWL in 9 months and have maintained it!  Yay!  I am still excercising and eating well.  My capacity differs.  Some days it can be 8-10 oz and others 6 oz.  protein is much less such as 4 oz.    I am about 15 months out now.  Loving my sleeve!

5' 8.75" HW 278 / Doctor supervised Diet 271 / SW 247 / Doctor's goal 175 / Personal Goal 167/ Current weight 155/  M1: 24.8  M2: 10.8  M3: 10.8  M4: 10.4  M5: 7.6  M6: 10.6  M7:  6.6  M8:  5.6  M9:  5.0

jenny1188
on 1/18/14 4:30 am - mount laurel, NJ
VSG on 03/03/14
Congrats to you Dianne!!! So inspiring! Are you full all day? Do you get frustrated that you are still hungry and can't eat? We're you ever feeling like you are suffering and starving and wish you can still eat?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views