If a gastric surg is a tool, then why

Omocca
on 3/2/14 3:54 am
VSG on 02/10/14

Lots of great advice above. It all goes back to "behavior modification". If you go back to eating the way you did presurgery you will see your weight return slowly. Changing old habits is key, I heard someone say once that the definition of "crazy" is doing the same things and expecting different results. I strongly suggest joining a support group and develop a plan to follow. It's possible the surgeon /program find not prepare you properly. Stay on track, you can do it, I'm only 3 weeks out and dropped 30 pounds since surgery and 50 from my initial visit with the surgeon. ........best wishes.

Sleeved 2/10/14 HW 357, SW 337

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/2/14 3:49 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I think WLS is a tool, not a solution. There are no easy fixes. Committing to WLS is committing to changing your lifestyle.  You will never be able to eat the same way and foods that you did before that turned you into a fat person. 

I'm only 10 weeks post surgery.   Listen to the VETS who are in maintenance.  This is NOT a diet that you do for a few months then stop.  If you want to be successful, recognize that it's for the rest of your life.

Do you attend any support groups for WLS? Maybe you should consider it.  It will help to reinforce what is necessary for long term success. 

If food is still "calling your name," I would recommend therapy with  someone who specializes in eating disorders.  It might help.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

poet_kelly
on 3/2/14 3:59 am - OH

It's a much more effective tool than Weigh****chers or diet pills.  Your stomach is always going to be much smaller after VSG than before.  You should always get full on much less food than before.  Surgery isn't a cure for things like cravings or emotional eating or food addiction.  There are other ways to deal with those things, like therapy.  Still, your chances of losing the weight and keeping it off are much better with WLS than without.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

TexasTerritory
on 3/2/14 5:56 am
VSG on 07/22/13
The way I see my WLS is: I must make lifestyle changes because I choose to alter my body. My body will never be able to handle food as it once did. Making healthy choices is good for my health, physically and mentally. I love having this tool available to me.

A. Kondrlik
on 3/2/14 8:00 am
VSG on 01/24/13

Amen to all the above.  The learning never stops, I have been in maintenance a couple of months and still learning and adapting.  There are things I could get away with during weight loss (like half and half in my decaf without counting it) that I cannot do now. I have had to ban some foods recently as they have become triggers 

Keep away from the slippery slope

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Alese M.
on 3/2/14 11:42 am - FL

I would love to thank each and every one of you who took your precious time to offer your great advice and re-opened my eyes. Perhaps I was in a slump, not from my wt loss but a mental slump.

I have a renewed opportunity to reorganize my thinking and continue downward (wt loss to goal).  

Thank you ALL again for your valued response....

alese inFL

alese in SE FL    

Tracy D.
on 3/2/14 11:02 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

When food "calls your name" that has nothing to do with hunger and has everything to do with your head and the old ideas/feelings/emotions about food.  No surgery will ever fix that; that requires a lot of other internal work that needs to be done.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Alese M.
on 3/3/14 4:24 am - FL

Thank you Tracy D...

When I had my VSG I lost all that 'head hunger'....That was my question...why did some old habits return?  I haven't acted on them.  I am doing my thing of 'dieting' again.  Yes, my stomach lets me know when I am full and uncomfortable so I stop, of course...

As I mentioned in my post, I couldn't have lost this amt of wt w/out the vsg.  Actually, I have, but never maintained it and gained it back.  I don't want that to happen so am super vigilant and hope I learned my lesson This is my 2nd Chance!  I want to reach the goal I set for myself, however, I am 70 yo and am doing it slowly so as not to get wrinkly.  So far so good.  At my age not planning on any plastics... oops, maybe a neck skin removal ...:)

My grown married son and his wife both said I didn't need to lose any more wt, however, the BMI says differently....I am still considered overweight down from super obese....

Thks for your input, I do appreciate it very much.

Alese inFL

alese in SE FL    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 451 views