Can your sleeve stretch to normal size stomach

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/13/14 10:48 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I am not a doctor so here is just my understanding of it. When they perform a sleeve they remove the fundus which is the stretchy part of our stomach. This is also the part where the ghrenlin lies which causes hunger. If they left too much of the fundus then it is easier to stretch it. To really stretch a properly made sleeve she would have to eat to excess that caused her pain all of the time. It is really hard to stretch a sleeved stomach.

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/14/14 1:00 am

maybe, in fact probably, IMO 

the thing to remember is that you can regain everything either way. it's both about what you eat and how much.

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Ms Shell
on 4/14/14 2:45 am - Hawthorne, CA

Another "opinion" based on research etc.

How small/big your sleeve is made dictates how much of the stomach "stretchy part" which I believe is the fundus is LEFT intake.  Just like our SKIN stretches to accommodate our morbidly obese bodies, if we are hell bent on over eating over TIME this behavior and a stretchy stomach CAN lead to stretching out your stomach.  I would reckon to guess this occurrence would have to be on a DAILY basis.  So is it possible well YES.

NOW what is normal?  My normal preop was whole pizzas followed by wings and well I could eat enough for 5 "normal" people on some sittings.  While I can eat WAY more then I was able to during the first year, I personally don't think 6-12oz of food is alot BUT it is a "normal" portion for many people.  What I choose to comprise that, well is another story.

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/14 3:05 am

I agree with Ms. Shell.

1) It depends on how much of the fundus was left in tact by your surgeon.  The more that was left, the more there is to stretch.  Even a little more, can stretch out quite a bit.

2) Whether you have a tight sleeve or a loose sleeve, you can still gain all your weight back if you eat slider foods or drink your calories.  I do think it's easier with a tighter sleeve, but that doesn't mean you are safe from regain.

3) No, when all is said and done, you can't ever have the exact same size stomach as you did before surgery.

drea29
on 4/14/14 8:43 am

Based on my own experience it can stretch some as I can eat more now than in the beginning.  I am a little confused though.  I have a 34French bougie so does that mean that I have a better chance of not stretching as someone with a 40.  I sounds like from what I have read that it might have to do more with  surgical technique.  So how do you know how much of the fundus has been removed?  My surgeon wouldn't even tell me what size bougie he was using.  I had to get my medic records to find out.  I suppose in the end it is all abut making healthy choices and working with what you have. 

Carmelita
on 4/17/14 12:48 am - Four Corners, NM

Nope NEVER EVER 

Does EVERYONE's  dilate/stretch naturally after surgery ..YES.  Its a muscular organ with lots of action goin on even while we sleep!

By 1 year out tho we are DONE cooking! 

Here's a VSG upper gi  pic  SAME PATIENT... post operative Day 1  compared to 4 years post op (just like sis)

Tell sis....she needs to look ELSEWHERE at the culprit...at 4 years out...I suspect MAJOR DIET/EXERCISE  BURN OUT!!.  if not tho apologies!

I'd tell her to do the CCT (cottage cheese test )  to TEST her capacity.  Hopefully she likes cottage cheese...It would be her breakfast before any fluid or food.  Will tell her just HOW BIG her stomach REALLY REALLY is!! How much food her stomach actually holds!   

no more guesswork, silly notions/convincin, and maybe no need to go under the knife again ....

Here's a link on doin it...

CCT (Cottage Cheese Test)  gotta scroll down some 

As mentioned the 5 DPT is another great tool available to us VSGrs...to check her restriction. She'll see as plain as the nose on her face that her restriction is there and NEVER left her.  Hey on Day 3 is the soft protein day she can do the CCT on that day...two birds

Here's the link and some caveats on doin it...gotta scroll down some...(5 Day Pouch Test)   5DPT  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views