Just a little rant.

dragonlove
on 6/21/14 7:55 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I'm so sorry they can't be more positive for you!  I expect that they just can't help it.... their brains are so wired that the "normal" you is big so that now when you are finally getting healthy, their subconscious is screaming at them that something is wrong because you don't match the old pattern in their brain.  I'm sure they care about you, but they just can't get their brains and hearts adjusted to the new you. 

You're about my same height and weight at the moment.  There have been a few friends I've had to sit down and tell them that I am being monitored by someone who does this for a living (surgeon and Nut) and that they just are seeing me through their old expectations.  (I'm looking to lose 35 more lbs) A few I've asked to step back and pretend they are meeting me for the very first time and they have ALL admitted that if they were meeting me for the first time, they wouldn't think anything about my size and agreed that more weight off would be a good thing.

I know it's frustrating, and annoying that they are bugging your mom.  Good luck!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

ywgchick
on 6/21/14 11:35 am
VSG on 05/08/14

Great advice, Dragonlove!

Height: 5'1 | HW: 200 lbs | CW: 136

Tenacious88
on 6/21/14 11:33 am - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi: Stick with your program, it's the best way to reach all your goals. Now for the voices, ear plugs work great.

The Best to you.

God Bless.

88 Lou       

"We as Losers need to have Bull Dog Tenacity to win the war against obesity"                  

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/14 12:30 pm - Canada

People are dumb lol.  If your mom is worried take her with you to your next clinic appointment, her being able to ask questions and understand what a normal weight is for your body will help.  If it's just your relatives being dumb and she's not worried then your reply is spot on.  I understand a mom worrying for her child but everyone else can stop being busy bodies.

MAchick
on 6/21/14 12:39 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

I wanted to take her with me when I was post op, but she's just too sick. Which is strange,  because you'd think she'd appreciate how things are going for me. She's actually very happy for me,  but I think she is confused. I'm trying to educate people that just because I'm losing weight does not mean I am anorexic or unhealthy. It's a strange thing for others to experience I guess. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/14 12:46 pm - Canada

It's normal to associate extreme weight loss with sickness, especially in our parents lifetimes.  I'm sorry your mom is not doing well.  I wish my mom had lived to see my success.  Just keep educating people.  I know it's not your job but if you are strong enough to do it you are doing a service for all those that will come after you.  I tell everyone about my surgery.  I have had so many conversations with people in the middle of some stores aisle.  For all those that have thought of the surgery and had no clue who to ask it really is a help.

Stay strong :)

Nikke2003
on 6/21/14 11:37 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

People do the same things to me.... one of them being the nurse at the bariatric clinic I go to lol! At about 195-200 lbs and almost 5'10", I have plenty left I could lose without looking sick... though I don't look bad now. It's very annoying! I didn't invite comments about my body when I was heavy.... I don't invite comments on my body now!

Now if anyone asks if I'm still losing or done trying or whatever, I just tell them yes - they don't know the freakin' difference LOL! I just tell them I haven't lost anything in awhile and that I'm done - it's shuts them up!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views