I can eat 5oz at a time 10 days post-op??

serenity1959
on 7/6/14 1:41 am
VSG on 08/05/13

I could not eat that much when I was 10 days post op.  Like the others said, measure your food. 

HW 275  SW 266

Yrk73329
on 7/6/14 9:19 am

Thank you for the input. There has been some great advice. I think I have decided that I am going to do protein drinks, cheese, scrambled eggs and refried beans ONLY for the next couple of weeks even though I've been given the go ahead to eat other things. I would rather play it safe. If it as others have suggested and you can't feel due to nerves being severed, I don't want to not feel my way into bursting my stomach open. The ricotta bake is also high in fat compared to other soft foods.

As far as measuring food goes...I posted in the OP that I DID MEASURE THE FOOD. That's how I know it was 4.5-5 ounces!!!???!! The point was that I could easily eat that and did not feel uncomfortable, stuffed, full, etc... My Dr. did not tell me the ounces to eat just I was cleared for mushy foods and that I would eat 1/4-1/2 cup at a time. Which is 2-4oz. I just thought it would take a long time to actually work up to that amount; didn't expect that right off the bat. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

oufanindallas
on 7/6/14 11:52 am - Little Elm, TX
VSG on 07/07/14

You're already on soft foods?  My surgeon has my diet at liquids for 4 weeks post op. After 4 weeks I can add 1 to 2 oz of soft foods every 3 to 4 hours.  At 6 weeks I can increase it to 2 to 3 oz. 

themexcellentone
on 7/6/14 2:30 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Not to be rough, but you should be panicked...your stomach has just been made raw, cut and stapled back together just 10 days ago.  Why the hell are you testing its capacity now?

First, if you're going through that much soft food in as few as 10 minutes, you are eating too fast.  Second, as someone else pointed out, just because you can doesn't mean you should.  You are playing with fire eating so much so soon.

start MEASURING and I would go so far as to say EAT out of a quarter cup measuring cup with a timer set for 20 minutes.  Eat tiny bites, and eat SLOWLY, at a table.  Not in front of a tv, not at the computer--craft your environment so that you are focused on what you're eating.   Take care of your brand  new sleeve and it will take care of you.  Keep stuffing it the way you are now, and you increase the likelihood that your sleeve will spring a leak.

Good luck to you.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Yrk73329
on 7/7/14 12:27 am

Let me say for the 3rd time...the food was MEASURED!!!!! I wasn't "testing" the capacity. 

Let me say for the 3rd time....Yes! My doctor released me on my one week follow up appointment to begin eating soft foods and then to move to tuna and soft meats and fish the next week (which is tomorrow) 

Im surprised to see so many people here on OH have a different progression through the stages. Some being a month post op on liquids, some 6 weeks, some 2 weeks, etc... I was following my doc's plan when I ate ricotta bake (his nurse told me about the dish). I now feel it is too soon to be eating due to the advice on here about nerves being severed and the lack of feeling at this point. If I do eat anything soft I am measuring 2oz out rather than 4 1/2. My doc did not tell me this but from advice on here that's what I'm doing. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views