Giving up coffee??

SATXVSG
on 8/8/14 11:51 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

If I gave up my 30 year 64+oz of diet coke a day, you can give up  coffee for a while.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Machelle.K
on 8/8/14 11:54 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

I had the same problem. The night before surgery when you don't get anything is when I decided to let it go. I figured I've pain meds from surgery so I'd do the withdrawals then. It worked, and I've been caffeine free ever since. My doctor never said I had to quit in advance only that I had to quite before surgery.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

Cece2014
on 8/8/14 12:16 pm

I SO looked forward to my morning coffee - but what I realized was it the ritual, more than anything, that was important.  Those 15 minutes or so had been my ONLY time in a busy life that was mine.  No "mommy mommy", no phone ringing, no cooking/cleaning, no "yes dear", no nothing.  Just the sunrise, the birds, frogs croaking or even a gentle rain.  And now that I live alone (family all grown) ALL my time is my own.

So I cut back from 2 cups to 1. Then removed the sugar (big step for me).  Then made the coffee a little weaker.  In a week I gave it up completely.  No caffeine headache, and the occasional sour stomach was also a thing of the past.

For me any of these changes are not "step off a cliff" - they work better if you first cut back, see you're OK, then adjust a little more.  I think it's unreasonable to go from 100 mph to a stop on some of this stuff - caffeine is one of those.

Give it a try, see what you can actually do!

good luck

Christine

Low Carb Lifestyle is working!   HW: 370   CW: 295  GW: 200

Dianalion
on 8/8/14 1:41 pm

I started to wean myself off of coffee three weeks before my surgery.  It wasn't easy. Had to take a few Advils  at first.  I made half and half coffee and slowly made it more decaf.  By week three I replaced the morning Jo with a protein shake. I am six weeks post op and use Chike in the morning. Love my morning Chike.

Giving up the coffee before surgery was a good thing for me. I don't think dealing with withdraw on top of healing would have been fun. It was hard enough getting rid of the gas pains, keeping the fluids down and taking daily supplements.  

jobe05
on 8/9/14 1:14 am

My Nut early on told me about the coffee......  or should I say, The Caffeine.  I stopped drinking soda's a few years ago and switched to diet green tea.  My Nut told me not to drink it because of the caffeine in it.......  A couple months later, in a meeting with the surgeon, he said he didn't care about the caffeine, it was the Tannins i the coffee that he was concerned about as this is what can adhere to the incision and cause issues.........  I asked again....  "So I can have Caffeine?"  he said Yes!  I said "let me clarify, as long as the liquid is clear, like a hot camomile tea or my cold diet green teas, thats OK"  he said yes!

Now thats My Surgeon, I would ask yours the same question.  Amazing how we get different stories from not just different Dr's but for me, even within the same Dr's office.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views