Not All Sleeves Are Created Equal

Tracy D.
on 9/2/14 12:33 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Here's the difference in why you're doing better than your friend as far as weight-loss goes:  YOU ARE WORKING THE PLAN!  You've admitted she's eating more, she's eating things not on plan and is going over the calorie limit.  

The sleeve size has nothing to do with this in my opinion.  As far as my surgeon goes, he uses the same bougie size for everyone.  It's the shape of the sleeve that may be different depending on someone's insides.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Spencerella
on 9/2/14 3:30 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I agree with Elina. Sleeve construction, program and compliance matter. I'm guessing in the case of you and this person, your sleeves are pretty much equal, as is your surgeon's program for each of you. It's your compliance that differs, and that's why you are so much more successful. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Lizzy67
on 9/2/14 9:40 am
VSG on 09/15/14

I also believe that the sleeve itself is an important part of the equation.  I have spoken with several people that needed to be re sleeved because of very big sleeves  that helped them lose very little weight and regained right away.  I know compliance IS important but  if  I can have a sleeve can hold  6 ounces  vs a sleeve that can hold 18oz, I will take the small one thank you.  If the size or construction did not matter we would not need surgery and would do it with our normal large stomachs ;) 

In your case  your sleeves probably differ very little but keep in mind that there are other factors. We have always been told not to compare ourselves to others and I think that in this case this is especially true. We are all different, your friend might have a slower metabolism and she just loses slower, who knows!  Just as  some plateau at 6 weeks and others do not.  

VSG Surgery date scheduled !!  9-15-14   Mexicali Bariatric Center Dr Wilhelmy

frisco
on 9/2/14 11:39 am

You broke the code !!!

Sleeve size and technical construction controls capacity and flow.

What people need to understand is that the "eventual" capacity is what really matters, weight loss can happen with any size sleeve and even without WLS.

As Elina explained, sleeve size/capacity is an "element" in the equation.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

CdngirlinNC
on 9/2/14 11:44 am

Hi Everyone - thanks so much for your responses.  It's great to be able to share ideas and bounce questions off each other.  I want to be fair about this, though.  My friend had a fast drop early on but then slowed right down.  Overall she has lost 20 lb more than me but our starting points were very different.  I don't want to sound like she's failing and I'm succeeding  - out weight loss journeys have just been very different and our approach has also been very different.  I do think there is a direct link but while I was wondering about the importance of sleeve size in this I can see the majority of you believe it is more to do with habits and following or not following the plan.  One thing I've really got to work harder on is not worrying about her!  This surgery is no cake walk and I have enough to concern myself with just with me!

Again it was great to hear your perspectives and thanks for taking the time.

Trudy

VSG 07/07/14

Kelly Jean
on 9/2/14 12:50 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

I Totaly agree with everything Grim said!!  This sleeve is a tool and it depends on how we use it will show us how well it will work for us... your doing a great job staying on plan!!!  Keep up the great work !!!:-) 

♡ Kelly

Kelly Jean
on 9/2/14 12:52 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

I Totaly agree with everything Grim said!!  This sleeve is a tool and it depends on how we use it will show us how well it will work for us... your doing a great job staying on plan!!!  Keep up the great work !!!:-) 

♡ Kelly

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views