Carbs, net carbs, dietary fiber... What's your take?

ElizaM
on 9/8/14 4:19 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Net carbs doesn't mean that fiber cancels out a carb, just that fiber is not treated like a carb so it's not really sensible to include fiber in your carb counts. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Tracy D.
on 9/8/14 4:23 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I understand that, Eliza...and YOU understand that.  But newbie WL patients read that stuff and think it gives them license to eat stuff that they really shouldn't be trying.  I agree with your earlier post that manufacturers should just leave the "net carb" thing off the label because it confuses people.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/14 5:47 am

During WL, I just kept it simple. I counted total carbs (fiber and all). When I hit 40 I was done. End of subject.

Now, I don't worry about any carbs from fruits or vegetables. I still count them, but I don't obsess about them the way I did during my initial WL. Now it's more about dealing with the whole reality of eating for life.

You'll probably get a kick out of the fact that after doing much reading, attending the OA meetings, and some soul searching I have set forth some rules for living - not eating per se, but living. One major new rule that I had to discuss with my guy and he agreed to was that we will no longer EVER keep ice cream in the house. EVER. I know some people do this with certain foods and it just has to be that way from here on out.

Tracy D.
on 9/8/14 5:55 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I can totally appreciate that!  I have the same rule with certain foods.  It's not that I won't ever eat them again, they just have to live other places ;-)

I'm thinking I might have to do the same thing with peanut butter.  It was never a problem for me prior to WLS...but it's starting to be

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Lemily
on 9/8/14 4:39 am
VSG on 01/16/14

I wish there was a "like" button on posts LOL. I just always look at the whole of everything...how much total fat, how much total carbs, how much total protein.

Lemily
on 9/8/14 4:22 am
VSG on 01/16/14

My nutritionist told me a carb is a carb is a carb. The FDA - and i have not done any research on this, its just what my NUT told me and I am by no means an expert - does not define what a net carb actually is and therefore food manufacturers get to really decide how to promote net carbs and the consumer gets to decide if its right for them. That being said, if I eat things like protein bars, which I stay away from anyway, she told me only if something has at least 5g of fiber per serving, you take 1/2 that amount and then deduct it from the carb total to get a "net carb" reading. So if total carbs is 30, and total fiber is 5g, 30-2.5 = 27.5 net carbs.

I know me personally, I have to stay away from them. Lately, I have been slipping them back in. And its more for mindless eating. If I throw a few blueberries in my yogurt im not going to freak out b/c basically its 5 of them and the carbs may total 1g. Now, if I am going to eat a banana, I will definitely count how much I eat. If it's veggies, I dont usually count them either, like lettuce, cucumbers, celery - but if i venture over to carrots and items I know weigh heavier on the carb scale, then I am definitely tracking them.

I think its really about knowing yourself and what you can cope with and mentally deal with if the scale tips in a weigh that you are not happy with.

frisco
on 9/8/14 5:54 am

My opinion mimics Tracy's....

Several things, it is of my opinion that figuring fiber calculations is more of a maintenance strategy. Keep WL tight and simple.

The truth is that most people including myself need/needed to tighten things up to lose the last weight.

Increasing quantity, content, calories and carbs as you progress in time during WL is the perfect recipe for NOT making it to whatever goal weight you desire.(for most)

I looked at your progress.... your doing GREAT !!! 

Keep it tight simple !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

trinoc
on 9/8/14 8:10 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I've defined stages for myself and this process. 

During weight loss, my carbs are VERY limited.  I eat no grains, no processed carbs at all, almost zero fruit, a few bites of veg a day, and maybe a bean here and there.

Once I've hit my goal, I'll first work on just maintaining.  Not adding in foods I haven't eaten in months, but figuring out what I need to eat to just maintain where I am. 

After I've successfully maintained for the amount of time it took me to lose the weight in the first place then I will start messing around w/ more variety as far as whole grains and fruit.  Processed carbs might not be a "never" but they will be very, very rare. 

I, like Kairk, also have food rules.  Some things just can't live in my house. 

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views