Is the risk worth the benefit?

Kelly Jean
on 10/16/14 11:51 am
VSG on 04/08/14

I can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done for me and my family !!! I had sleep apnea and high blood pressure and on the verge of diabetic ... I no longer take blood pressure meds , no more sleep apnea... Also no chance of being a diabetic!!! I started at 242 lbs I'm now 144 I can walk jog hike do exercise without feeling like I am or wanting to die... I feel great!!! I was in a size 18 very tight now I'm a 3/4  I can keep up with my kids actually they can't keep up with me !!!! :-) So was it worth it!!    ALSOUTLEY! !!! no doubt about it!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

DeeNY52
on 10/16/14 12:22 pm

The surgical risk is very low, the risk of being morbidly obese is much greater.  I had my sleeve at 61- boy do I wi**** had been available when I was your age.  Instead I spent my 40s and 50s fat and getting fatter.  Needing to rest after walking up half a flight of stairs.  Getting on a plane and having my seatmates roll their eyes b/c they knew I was going to take up some of their space.  Going into a room and looking around - hoping- that someone would be fatter than me.  Buying increasingly bigger - and less attractive- clothes.  Having high blood pressure.  Having terrible back pain.  Sweat rashes every summer.

So, yes, the risk is worth it.  Get therapy for you OCD, and start taking care of yourself.  Be a mom who can participate in family fun, no****ch from the sidelines.  The sleeve is not a fix- it is a tool that helps you to eat less and force yourself to eat healthier.  Diets are short-term.  The VSG is a lifestyle change that is permanent.

It can be scary to make drastic changes, and there are days when I still feel like a fat lady inside, but I look and feel better at 62 than I did at 42, and I can look forward to an active retirement in a few years, God willing.  Your life will be so much better.  I hope you get the information you need- know that this chat is also a wonderful tool.  We are a family and we take care of each other.  Good luck.

Dee

momomof3boys
on 10/17/14 12:33 am

Thank you to everyone for the feedback! What was recovery like? I'm probably going to have the procedure done right before Christmas for insurance purposes. Will I be completely out of commission? Or still able to engage in activity with my family?

DeeNY52
on 10/17/14 5:23 am

Hi - I had my surgery on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving last year, went home on Wednesday and spent Wed in bed, up on Thursday, drinking broth, took it easy all weekend and went back to work the next Monday.  Be sur eyou have someon to help wiht the kids and give youself a few days in bed to recover from the anesthesia, but the surgical incisions are small and don't hurt.

SATXVSG
on 10/17/14 5:28 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

No clear answer.  I was up and going 3 days later.  Others have slower recoveries.  Everyone is different but I think most recover quickly.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

bikrchk
on 10/17/14 5:04 am

A "fix"? No.  A tool to help you change your behavior? YES! I had been obese since childhood and had the sleeve 1 year ago at 47yo.  I had about 100 pounds to lose to overcome high blood pressure, asthma, borderline diabetes and relieve joint stress to reduce the effects of hip displasia.  My daily life before surgery consisted of food obsession, over eating almost all of the time and zero focused exercise.  My life after surgery consists of getting up an hour earlier at 4:30 am every work day to get an hour of exercise in before I do anything else; food journaling what I eat so I can see on paper that I'm getting what I need and know I'm staying in control; responding to the alarms on my phone to take the vitamins I need because I can't eat\absorb all that I need from food anymore; and monitoring my protein intake, taking at least 2 protein supplements per day.  My life is changed forever and I WOULD NOT TRADE WHAT I HAVE TODAY FOR THE WORLD!  I'm free from the 10 prescriptions I was taking 1 year ago, with normal blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol and no asthma.  I eat what I like in small portions. I've adopted new favorites that are more nutritionally dense than many of my old favorites.  I wear a size 4 skinny jeans.  I've been promoted at work. I have a new confidence I didn't think was possible. I date now and don't stress about meeting new people. Was WLS a "fix", no.  I fixed the behavior that was killing me the the help of VSG and I have no illusions that I can lose all my progress if I don't maintain the behavior changes.

Sweat is fat crying

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views