early eating post-op

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/25/14 3:57 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

There are some of us here whose doctors are far more liberal with the post op progression eating plan. I am one of them. I was on soft foods 3 days after surgery. No liquid phase and no puree phase officially as per my surgeon's instructions. I recall that I ate cottage cheese and blended soup and greek yogurt pretty much right away. However there was no way that protein goals in the first six months to a year could have been met without shakes or mixing in the unflavoured powder to whatever you are eating. The quantities just were not enough. I used to live on protein coffee. It worked for me. I don't like the super sweet tastes either so the bitterness of the coffee helped with that. 

I stress that I followed my doc's instructions. At three weeks post op I was on regular foods including raw veggies and dense protein. Did it hurt me? No. Did it stall my weight loss? No. But these were my doctor's instructions. Each surgeon does what he/she does when they operate on you and the post op plans are, I would hope, not just taken off the shelf but designed specifically based on your doctor's experience with what works best with his/her technique and follow up plan. So I would really have a chat with your doc and the nutritionist and find a solution that works within your programme. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Valerie G.
on 10/25/14 10:31 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

My doc had a very progressive food plan, and maybe it was because I was still in the hospital being monitored (you'll see pre-op and post-op requirements vary by doc around here).  I did full liquids by day 3, and did well enough for soft foods the next day, and well enough on those that I was ready to start trying whatever appealed to me when I went home.   Jumping right into ham may not have been the best idea, however you did well on it.  I would recommend backing off to at least soft foods if you cannot call the doc and just try to get their blessing about it..and tread lightly.

Now about the whey protein.  Being that you're not tolerating milk well - whey being a diary product, you may not be tolerating it well either....plus that horrible aftertaste...eww! It was that taste alone that had me inspired to eat strategically to get all my protein in with food and not have to depend on those any longer than I had to.  It wasn't until years later that I discovered egg white protein.  It's no starbucks frappuccino, but it didn't totally suck and made a nice flavor for my coffee in place of sweetener.  Since you're not ready to eat all that you need just yet, you may want to give that a try.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

jesswithsuccess
on 10/25/14 10:43 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm going to atixk with the plan at least until I contact the doctor on Monday. It means more of getting no where near the recommended amount of protein.... but there's not a lot I can do about that.

I do not think what I did was "crazy", however. Everyone has a different post op diet, and for many people that means soft foods after 1 week post op. I don't think chewing to liquid a piece of deli ham the size of a baby spoon makes me crazy.... it makes me human. People make mistakes and I disagree that this was the most horrific thing I could have done. 

HW 306.6 lbs    START OF PRE-OP DIET 284.6 lbs     Surgery Day (10/17/14) 270 lbs

W1- 258 lbs    Jan 1st, 2015- 220 lbs

Feb 1st, 2015- 211 lbs      February 15th, 2015- 100 lbs lost from highest (206.6 lbs)

April 6th, 2015 - 190 lbs

diane S.
on 10/27/14 4:12 am

ask your surgeon but i'd say no way should you eat anything not prescribed by surgeon.  inappropriate food can cause a leak which is serious.  add coco powder to choc protein drinks to make them more bitter. you can also get egg white based protein powder or soy based.   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

nikki469
on 10/27/14 4:56 am
VSG on 10/17/14

Jess we are surgery buddies. I dont think it is the end of the world. I think you will be just fine. But just think after seeing the but and the doctor this week we will be on soft foods. So hang in there and dont get discouraged. I'm here for you mistakes and all.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views