Saturday night slipup

Gwen M.
on 11/16/14 4:47 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you click on "more" at the bottom of your post, there should be an edit option.  But, with the new interface, if your comment is the last one currently on a page, the edit option might be cut off.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/16/14 5:06 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Yes,  it's a very cowardly thing to do.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/16/14 3:23 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13
On November 16, 2014 at 4:40 AM Pacific Time, Allison L. wrote:

Connie, thank you. 

Frisco, I see the harshness of your response as being far more about you than about me. I have lost more than 60 pounds in less than five months, which for me is amazing. I have changed my life. I have posted multiple times about successes and this is the first time you've responded to a single post: with undue negativity and harshness. This isn't about helping me or anyone else. This is about the chip on your (decidedly now thinner) shoulder. No, I don't hate you. You're not worth the effort. 

Bravo  Allison. 

It's rather telling that he opted to delete his negative comments towards you rather than have the character and integrity to stand behind his words.

Everyone falls off the wagon at some time.  It's impossible to be on plan 100% of the time.   What matters is that you dust yourself off and start back on program again. Don't beat yourself up for it.   You've done an amazing job and recognized what you did.  I know for myself I would block my bad eating habits out of my mind and perpetuate them. 

We're not like smokers or alcoholics who can avoid our vices completely.  We are faced with food choices everyday.  This does not signal doomsday as some people preach.  I applaud you for your success and response to someone who has never offered you support,  but responded when he could chastise you.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

weeziebeth
on 11/15/14 9:58 pm

I don't know that I dare post, not even having the status of 'newbie' yet. But I think poor decisions and mistakes happen in all areas of our lives, not just in what we eat. Certainly we have more emotional attachment to dietary indiscretions but still.

There is a phrase my clinical instructor shared with me my 1st year of nursing school--'relax, relate, release.' 1st step-relax, take a deep breath. 2nd-relate, what do I need to take away from this situation, what do I need to learn from this, apply, apologize for, etc. And 3rd, release-let the frustrations, upset, anger, insert the appropriate emotion go-do not let it hinder you from making progress the rest of that hour, day, week, etc. 

Its a simple, perhaps even trite, phrase. But I have used it for over 10 years, shared it with many (quite a few of whom use it too--just heard a young nurse share it with a nursing student), and find it to be one of the most helpful tools I ever acquired.

HW 285 SW 248 CW 218  Surgery date: 12/2/14                 "Life itself is the proper binge." Julia Child      

"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''  Winston Churchill

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/16/14 3:22 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Oh I really like this! I need to start using it :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

TexasTerritory
on 11/16/14 3:38 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I like this exercise!

weeziebeth
on 11/16/14 5:07 am

Thank you both! I have found it to be applicable in practically every area of my life and in almost all cir****tances. Sometimes the 'relate' step is WAY involved but the process is the same. 

HW 285 SW 248 CW 218  Surgery date: 12/2/14                 "Life itself is the proper binge." Julia Child      

"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''  Winston Churchill

Gwen M.
on 11/16/14 5:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I like your three Rs!  Good advice.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Nmmsg
on 11/15/14 10:00 pm, edited 11/15/14 10:00 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

By now this is yesterday's news.  What did you learn?  First of all, it did not make you happy or feel good.  Ok - during this journey I have slipped up at times.  I don't drink but certainly have had things off plan in the losing phase- not proud of it but moved on.  

In maintenance, I am still learning.  I feel physically better when I eat my normal plan- protein first, etc.  I have a 5lb window- when I go above goal I work my way back down.  It is NOT easy but easier than before surgery.  You have done well and will continue to do so.  The first time I had one cookie I was ashamed.  Really? How stupid!  You are learning what works for you and what you need to do.

Keep up the good work.  This does not mean you are going down the slippery slope.  You recognize it and move on- learn.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Allison L.
on 11/15/14 10:03 pm - Berkeley, CA

Thank you, everyone. I'm up way early kind of going over all this stuff in my head and you have really helped with that. I really appreciate it. 

Most Active