FMLA question

BrendaRae
on 1/7/15 8:03 pm
VSG on 01/13/15

Thank you, im going to try with one last not from my dr because the lap band HAS to be removed since it has slipped, maybe i just wont say anything about having the sleeve done

dorasvsgjourney
on 1/7/15 6:14 am
VSG on 11/26/14

A note from your doctor stating that the surgery is medically necessary should be sufficient.  They are getting into an area of HIPAA violation with the why.

The only time I've ever had to worry about medical time off work was when I had my babies (last one was 11 years ago)and that was just the doctor filling out the forms for state disability.  

The best advice I can give you is to talk to someone in your HR department.

Good Luck!

drea29
on 1/7/15 7:04 am

I was advised by my HR rep to do the FMLA.  It didn't really seem like a choice, which was fine as it protected my job.  Also as someone mentioned if you need more time you can take it.  FMLA runs for up to 3 months.  I accrue sick time each pay period and had plenty to cover my time off.  However, if I just used sick time come my annual evaluation they would have viewed it as excessive absence. They couldn't do that with the FMLA in place.  By law all they need is a letter from your surgeon stating medical necessity, they do not have to know why if this is something you do not wish to share.  Wishing you the best.

BrendaRae
on 1/7/15 8:05 pm
VSG on 01/13/15

But is gettng the sleeve is a medical necessity? I guess thats what Im worried about. I know the lap band is necessary, but really the sleeve is my decision. My health is pretty good other than my weight, i just have slight high blood pressure.

BrendaRae
on 1/7/15 8:08 pm
VSG on 01/13/15

thank you...

drea29
on 1/7/15 10:17 pm

You need to have surgery to have the lap band removed and are having a revision surgery.  All WLS is our decision, maybe my wording was incorrect, but there is a medial need.  I guess an example would be I have arthritis in both my knees.  It is my decision as to whether I want knee replacements.  I can work without them,  but if I choose to do it is  medically necessary.  Why would the lap band be more medically necessary than the sleeve?  

Lemily
on 1/8/15 2:36 am
VSG on 01/16/14

It all depends on your company. I get unlimited sick days. However, after 5 consecutive days out, we need to take short-term disability. The only person that needs to approve my time off is my manager and I continue to get paid in full. Then the firm's insurance company coordinates with my doctor's for all the necessary paperwork. I work for a very good company though that even when I had my 2 kids, it was a non-event for me. I just called up and said I was out and I was send forms for the doctor to fill out and that was it.

Doctor's offices are used to this. Call them up and tell them you need a letter stating that this is medically necessary and they will know what to do. It should not be foreign to them. Its just process.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views