This is hard for me to share...but I need advice

Stacy_WLS
on 1/11/15 2:39 am

I will second what some of the other posters have said.

Liquid Only?

I don't know if going back to liquids is the best idea -- I have considered it a couple of times too, but if you end up super hungry it could cause the opposite reaction.  If hunger isn't the issue and you just need a strict program it could work.  I know some days I have just liquids until late in the afternoon and my hunger is at bay (this only happens when I am super busy -- and the liquids are loaded w/ protein).  

Back to Basics

This is what I would recommend.  Eat protein.  If you are still hungry eat veggies.  If you are still hungry -- re-evaluate -- are you really still hungry?  if so, have some more veggies.

Honestly at the begining keeping your diet to protein & green veggies is the best bet.  You don't need fruit / bread / carbs at all.  This will put your body into ketosis and the fat will melt off.  

Also EXERCISE like it is your job.  Find time everyday. 

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

scarletred
on 1/11/15 5:19 am
VSG on 10/07/14

Thank you Stacy. Your words have really hit the nail on the head. Protein. Protein. Protein. Veggies...I cannot allow myself to do what I had done before which was "oh it's just a bite of tortilla...it's just a bite of chocolate...it's just a taste of ice cream..." I really had myself believing there that I could do those things in moderation...very strict moderation....at first. Then I got more and more and more lax with it. I now know that I'm not one of those people who can be lax in any way shape or form. It gets out of control very quickly.

~Yolanda                                                        HW316 ConsultW293 SW275 CW234 GW150

M1-22 M2-7 M3-XX M4-XX M5-XX M6-XX M7-XX M8-XX M9-XX M10-XX M11-XX M12-XX

ladygodiva1228
on 1/11/15 5:22 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I don't really have much to add to all the great advice already give, but I want to applaud you for realizing what you have done and wanting to fix it. You can do this and no your window has not been lost.  Remember any and all WLS are tools. Work your tool and you will succeed.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Hislady
on 1/11/15 8:03 am - Vancouver, WA

I wouldn't advise wasting time on a liquid diet that is just to protect your newly operated on tummy. Once that is healed you want to stick with solid protein and veggies. The sleeve works on restriction and to feel that restriction you need solid food and not much of it. Eating protein first will give you a much fuller feeling just like with your chicken. Just concentrate on protein first and you will feel full the majority of the time, you don't need liquids at this point. Good luck, we've all been there!

Gwen M.
on 1/11/15 8:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

First off, know that you CAN do this.  You can.  You will lose weight as long as you stick to your plan.  There is no "window of opportunity."  There is only "as long as you're willing to work at it."  

Start by logging every single thing you put into your mouth with something like MyFitnessPal in order to see what you're taking in and where you need to fix things.  Find ways to keep from grazing - find activities that you don't associate with eating and work on filling your life with those things.  If you tend to graze when you watch TV, stop watching TV, for example.  

From there, get back to your basics.  Here are mine, yours might be slightly different.  

1. Prioritize protein and water
2. Deprioritize carbs, especially the refined and processed ones
3. Make the most of healthy fats
4. Eat three meals a day with no snacks
5. Avoid liquid calories (breakfast protein shake is the exception)
6. Weigh portions
7. Eat mindfully and with no distractions aside from real live people
8. Move as much as possible
9. Weigh myself daily
10. Be kind to myself

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

lovingme9908
on 1/11/15 12:09 pm
VSG on 10/06/14

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. The best thing I think I did for myself was to start to train for a 5k in March. I set my eye on that and I spend so much time focusing on getting ready for the race that I don't have time to sit and eat a lot of stuff that would make me angry at myself later. I've found that by staying busy with weight training and running keeps me going. Then even if I do eat something I shouldn't I've worked it off. Praying for you........

Tamiko

scarletred
on 1/11/15 1:12 pm
VSG on 10/07/14

Tamiko...I almost cried when I saw you had responded to this post. Being that we're "surgery buddies" and had surgery a day apart it was so hard to know that you knew what was going on with me. I truly have felt like a failure. I'm jumping back in the saddle and I have a renewed motivation to do well. I've always wanted to do a 5k. I never thought I would be able to since I've been overweight all of my adult life. That is the perfect motivation for me. Having my eye on the prize is what I truly need. A goal. Thank you so much!!!!!!

~Yolanda                                                        HW316 ConsultW293 SW275 CW234 GW150

Bundlina
on 1/12/15 1:48 am

Hey Yolanda,

I am totally knowing how you feel right now b/c I kind of did the same thing for the two weeks following Christmas.  It was funny because I actually made it through Christmas just fine but then it was like someone flipped a switch in my head the day after and I said to myself how everyone who came to my house for Christmas was skinny and look how they ate and they all ate dessert and so why can't I do that?  And so I did.  Pretty much ate whatever the heck I wanted for 16 days.  Felt like ****.  Sick, bloated, nauseous.  Then read someone's post on here about not using that true window of great opportunity in the first 6 months after surgery and asked myself what in heck am I doing?  Turned it all around on the 9th.  Been eating healthy and well and exercising since.  Promptly lost 3 pounds too. 

You can do it.  I know you can do it.  I feel so much better now even 4 days later and so much better about myself emotionally.  Like I regained my confidence in myself just by getting back on track.  Take baby steps.  Day to day.  Every day is a new day to start fresh and make the best of it.  I have faith in you girl!

scarletred
on 1/12/15 3:58 am
VSG on 10/07/14

Thank you!!! Yeah, it's so hard to flip that switch back the other way when you get started eating whatever the heck we want. That was hard to come to terms with for me. I was in deep denial and had justifications for everything I ate. I've been talking with my therapist about it and I'm having some really good progress on that front, so we'll see what happens. WE CAN DO THIS!!!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/12/15 4:38 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I went off the rails over Christmas and am struggling to get back on track.  Just when I think I have, I've gained more weight 

Today I'm writing out a list of things I need to focus on to get myself back on track.  These include:

Eating 60-80 grams of protein a day

Keeping carbs under 40 grams per day

Drinking at least 64 ounces of fluid per day

Exercising 4-5 times per week

It is SO HARD to get that hard core motivation back after we've let the carb monster back into our lives.  There's no secret formula.  If there's bad food around you, GET RID OF IT.  Throw that breakfast burrito away and don't let it tempt you.

I think a lot of us are in the same boat as you are after the holidays.  This was my first experience with them post surgery and they hit me hard.  We know what we have to do.  We have to bare knuckle it for awhile to get back into the game.

Hang in there.  You're not alone.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views