Favorite things from Trader Joe's?

GooseGirl
on 1/16/15 8:08 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I will definitely be looking into the frozen buffalo patties. Years ago I used to frequent a really good butcher. He introduced me to buffalo and I really enjoyed it. 

Bufflehead
on 1/16/15 3:33 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I buy almost everything I eat from Trader Joe's! Some of my top items from my "Most Frequent" lists from MFP:

• Teriyaki turkey jerky and sweet & spicy buffalo jerky
  • organic beef top sirloin roast
  • omega 3 eggs
  • frozen veggies, esp. artichoke hearts, organic broccoli florets, brussels sprouts, and grilled asparagus spears
  • garlic mustard sauce
  • shredded cheese, incl. sharp cheddar and the Swiss/Gruyere blend
  • rosemary ham (in the deli/sliced meats area)
  • Babybel cheeses - much cheaper than at regular supermarket!
  • Light champagne vinaigrette salad dressing
  • sliced roast chicken breast
  • frozen lamb koftas, frozen fully cooked turkey meatballs
  • frozen jumbo scallops, frozen Argentinian red shrimp
  • curry simmer sauce, masala simmer sauce
  • unsalted sardines in spring water, harissa sardines, canned skipjack tuna
  • if you have a dog, mine says to tell you that Trader Joe's Chicken & Sweet Potato dog biscuits are delicious, and the seasonal ones (turkey & cranberry/gingerbread) are even better!
StephK10
on 1/16/15 3:56 am

Thanks for your list!  Between you and Eliza, I'm thinking I need to make a trip ASAP.  Also, good to see there is someone else who likes sardines.  I love them so very, very much!

Height: 5'7" HighW: 266 SSW: 253 Surgery date: 11/17/14 CW 165.4

(FIRST GOAL OF 170 REACHED 6/30/15)  NEW GOAL: 159 (BMI of "normal")

M1: 24 M2: 15 M3: 11  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8 M7: 5 M8: 3 M9: 3

Bufflehead
on 1/16/15 5:04 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

sardines are a superfood IMO! All that protein, calcium, and iron, plus omega 3 fatty acids AND deliciousness! This is my favorite dinner recipe:

--take small ramekin or tiny baking dish (approx. 8 oz) and brush lightly with olive oil

--preheat oven to 375 with oiled ramekin in it

--while oven is preheating, prepare sardines: 1/2 can sardines mixed with small amount of chopped veggies of your choice (I love kale, swiss chard also works really well as does broccoli), plus sardine-friendly sauce of your choice (my favorite is Trader Joe's masala sauce)

--when the oven and ramekin are done preheating, add your sardine/veggie mixture and bake for five minutes

--remove from oven and top with an egg

--return to oven and continue baking for 10 minutes. You can top with shredded cheese about a minute before done if you want. You can bake shorter if you like your egg to resemble poached, or longer for a really firm yolk. 10 minutes gives about the consistency of a soft-boiled egg.

These are the ramekins I use for this kind of thing. They come in really handy for all sorts of post-VSG meals:

Fiestaware 4x2 ramekins

and if you need something with a lid, these are the best:

Le Creuset Mini Cocottes

And that's quite a detour from favorite Trader Joe's items . . . sorry for the hijack

GooseGirl
on 1/16/15 8:16 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

No apologies necessary. I am always on the lookout for interesting recipes. Thank you very much!!!

GooseGirl
on 1/16/15 8:11 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

It sounds like their selection of frozen veggies is pretty impressive. Looking forward to investigating that. Rosemary ham sounds interesting too. I have typically paired rosemary with pork chops. Never thought to try it with ham. 

My dog has great appreciation for the recommendation. She is so spoiled. Such a little diva but I love her to pieces. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/16/15 3:38 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I love stocking up on different sauces and marinades, they have lots of good Asian ones. Yellow curry is my favorite!

Their pre-cooked dinners are fab too. Pot roast, fajitas, carne asada, beef burgundy, chicken with mushrooms... So many protein-only choices that I can just toss in the microwave!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

GooseGirl
on 1/16/15 8:21 am
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I've been exploring new sauces and marinades since surgery. It will be fun to see some new options. Easy protein only choices that you can just toss into the microwave??? Now you are talking my language :) Thanks for the helpful ideas. 

KattattaK
on 1/16/15 4:17 am

I buy the majority of my groceries here as well as household items and beauty products)

Frozen artichoke hearts

balsamic vinnagrette 

power greens (salad package)

Their individual salads are amazing!

Grass fed ground beef

parmesan cheese

almond milk

eggs

plain Greek yogurt

coconut flour

cranberry almond and walnut trail mix

and so many other things!!!