Friends & relatives who are negative about WLS surgery

Scott S.
on 4/29/15 2:44 am - TX

I think you'll do better than 2/4... everyone on this site will certainly support you as much as we can!

Your coworker may believe you are asking them and reaching out to them for advice.  If that is the case, then you have to be prepared to hear things you may not want to hear, along with encouragement.

People are usually ignorant to what they don't know.  They probably haven't been there for every battle you have had to fight with your WL.  Most times, people will just want to see the results.

I have not told any nonessential people.  Even coworkers that I may lunch with or socialize with.  For me, it was a private decision once it was made.

Be glad you learned it with just 2 coworkers... and remember you have more support than you think!

VSG: 8/8/13 

Meghan704
on 4/29/15 7:36 am
VSG on 06/16/15

I literally just posted a topic this weekend on negative relatives- my brother doesn't understand. Said it was the easy way out, this won't solve all your problems, you can do this even if it takes years all you need is determination or my fave "meg, having some doctor carve u up like a damn Christmas ham just isn't natural." So I dropped it and left it at that. My parents, our sister and my husband are so supportive over it. After my brother talked to my family and saw they were supportive and actually LISTENED to them and what I had to say he's slowly coming around. I think after he realized I really need it and I didn't just wake up one day and think "hey I'll have surgery" he has started to come around. I think for some it takes time and the shock and fear of it worries a lot of people. I kept telling him that I was going to die early or of something horrible and it's sinking in. Not all will agree but the ones who love u will support u and eventually come around. 

WereYorkie
on 4/29/15 7:50 am
VSG on 05/11/15

I have a friend like #2... in fact, it's my godmother and godfather. My reply--"Yeah, I lost 40 pounds... It was such a rounding success, i REGAINED 80!"

They had nothing to say after that... 

Highest Weight: 340 (7/2/14)  Initial Consult: 327.8 (2/24/15) Home Weigh In on Surgery Date: 291.8 (5/11/15) Today's Weight: 187.4 (5/20/16) Total So Far: 152.6 Pounds!!!!!!

"There's only us. There's only this... forget regret. Or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. No day but today."

Oxford Comma Hag
on 4/29/15 12:01 pm
If a friend rolled her eyes, I'd seriously reevaluate that friendship.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

sleevelouise
on 4/29/15 6:00 pm

I agree with what others said - this is definitely NOT the easy way out, rather a tool, a way to stay consistent in the weight loss journey itself and to keep on track. Its easy for others to comment and spread overall negativity about weight loss surgery that they are unaware of. I'm thankful for my sleeve, and I've never felt better in my whole life. It still kinda gets difficult sometimes, but you just keep on going, and charge forward towards your goals. Best of luck to you!!!!!

Had surgery at Nordbariatric, with surgeon A. Maleckas.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views