New Comer hoping for additional support!

Luisa728
on 9/5/15 4:53 am

Thank you for your reply. That's a good thing; because your surgeon knows your medical history it makes sense for him/her to give you a diet they thing best suits you before surgery. I'm just excited for the chance to restart my life without having the weight slow me down. Congratulations on your weight loss so far & I wish you the quickest recovery with many blessings on reaching your goals!

Luisa

SouthernmostStar
on 9/6/15 3:02 pm
VSG on 01/25/12

That's great that you could do 10K steps a month after surgery.  It took me a little longer to work up to that distance after surgery.  You're so right about taking snacks.  Some doctors/programs actual give out cards that identify you as a bariatric patient just in case any place wants to question you bringing in something that they didn't sell you.

Good point that many surgeons differ on the pre and post-op diet.  Like you, I was on a full liquid diet for two weeks before the surgery.  After the operation, I was on clear liquids only for the first 10-days to two weeks.  Then I was on full liquids for another two weeks.  After that, I could start to add in some mushy food for another few weeks.  It was definitely a gradual process.

Honestly, as much as I thought I'd hate it when I was first given the post-op schedule, I realized while in the process that it was good for me.  My stomach needed time to heal and to adjust.  So many times in the first months post-surgery, my stomach rebelled.

It was all worth it, however.  Keep up the great work!

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

SouthernmostStar
on 9/6/15 3:02 pm
VSG on 01/25/12

That's great that you could do 10K steps a month after surgery.  It took me a little longer to work up to that distance after surgery.  You're so right about taking snacks.  Some doctors/programs actual give out cards that identify you as a bariatric patient just in case any place wants to question you bringing in something that they didn't sell you.

Good point that many surgeons differ on the pre and post-op diet.  Like you, I was on a full liquid diet for two weeks before the surgery.  After the operation, I was on clear liquids only for the first 10-days to two weeks.  Then I was on full liquids for another two weeks.  After that, I could start to add in some mushy food for another few weeks.  It was definitely a gradual process.

Honestly, as much as I thought I'd hate it when I was first given the post-op schedule, I realized while in the process that it was good for me.  My stomach needed time to heal and to adjust.  So many times in the first months post-surgery, my stomach rebelled.

It was all worth it, however.  Keep up the great work!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thebiggestloser
on 9/5/15 6:41 am
VSG on 11/19/14 with

Your feelings are completely normal. If you weren't a little nervous and worried about failure then that wouldn't be normal. I think it's important to have small goals. For instance - my surgeon told me that if lost 80lbs I would be considered a "success stasticially" so 80lbs was my first goal. When I passed that I said ok 100lbs... Then so on. Also... The best advise I can give you is follow the rules!!! Don't cheat and don't start grazing post op. For me the pre op diet was the hardest part. 

Luisa728
on 9/5/15 7:37 am

You have no idea how much your advice helps! Even though I know it's hard I'm completely committed to this pre-op & post-op life change in my daily menu. When it comes to the goals I've done that too. I have small goals but I'm committed & focused on getting to that final goal. However; I am starting with smaller goals. Thanks for the reply & the advice! :) 

David F.
on 9/5/15 3:23 pm - Henderson, NV

Hello Luisa,

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! It is definitely a complete change in eating and drinking but we all get used to it. My family still eats unhealthy around me but I make the good choice to eat what I am supposed to. It gets hard sometimes and I have eaten stuff I shouldn't but I either find out I don't like it anymore or I just don't want it. If you are interested there is another forum that is good http://www.bariatricpal.com/, I am a member of both and it is a good forum as well.  

Daveo

Surgery: Feb 9, 2015   HW: 517SW: 467

Luisa728
on 9/6/15 11:32 am

Hello David,

I understand that it's not their responsibility to change who they are & what they eat just because I'm having surgery; but they have seen what this weight has done to me. They have seen me at my lowest; like when I couldn't get out of bed without help. A part of me just 'wishes' that they could realize the struggle I'm going through. Especially when I have to change EVERYTHING I am so used to eating. It makes it harder for sure when it feels like they aren't being considerate (at least until I've gotten into a habit). Like I have said before I realize this is MY journey & even though I can't control actions of others I have the control to watch my own actions. So it's tough but I've been solid with my commitment. I hadn't heard about that site. I'll check it out & see if I can get involved with that WLS community. 

Thanks for replying & I wish you the best in your journey! 

Luisa

SouthernmostStar
on 9/6/15 11:02 am
VSG on 01/25/12

Congratulations for making this decision for yourself.  It's okay and normal to be nervous... just don't give into the nerves and eat off of the plan your surgeon decided for you.

I'm 3 1/2 years post sleeve surgery and my life has changed dramatically.  Even though I'm in a little rocky place right now, my health and well being are so incredibly better than they were.  I'm down about 146 pounds from where I started.  I could barely walk without gasping for air and every night I had to hit ibuprofen because my entire body hurt just from the effort of carrying me around.

Now I walk, ride my bike, swim, snorkel.  I've walked in several 5K events.  I just took up rowing classes which are awesome for cardio, calorie burn and working different muscle groups without hurting your joints.  I was doing Zumba classes before the arthritis in my knee made me change that plan.  Seriously, it's like a miracle.  As you lose weight and can do more, this can be so exciting for you.  Embrace it!

After surgery, as I started to slowly add back different foods, I really made a conscious effort to taste and learn to prepare healthier food in healthier ways.  I've cut out most processed foods.  I never eat fast foods when going to McDs or BK was a regular occurence.  (Actually, the few times that I was pressed for time and thought I'd substitute a small cheeseburger from McDs, I got sick.)  Now I experiment with different vegetables.  I substitute steamed spaghetti squash for pasta.  I've discovered things like making kale chips or adding baby spinach to my diet, even blending it into protein drinks.

Good, healthy, low fat, low carb foods can be delicious as well as good for us.  Make it fun to discover these things for yourself down the road.  0% plain Greek yogurt is a staple in my house.  It's amazing what goodness it can add to a variety of things, while also giving you extra protein.   On a day when I want yogurt for lunch, I will even mix up my own with some blueberries or strawberries and a touch of stevia.

Celebrate all of the good that you're doing for yourself!  Creating the positive energy will help you create positive results.  Good luck!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Luisa728
on 9/6/15 11:48 am

Southernmoststar,

I have already read several replies to my post but this one had me near tears. Why? because you gave me your story; I was able to see what can happen with determination & persistent (even through other health issues can occur) a surgery like this can still be a miracle!!  & adjusting to what your body is telling you so you can still be a success! Those are the tips I need going into a surgery of the  caliber.

You have given me motivation that I will carry though out this journey! You made it fun to read your story; & so much insight on how it is to go through such a big event in life! Thank you so much for your words! 

I wish the very best with the rest of your journey!!  Keep killing that fat & gaining that strength! I can't wait to be where you are!! 

Best,

Luisa

judyoz
on 9/9/15 3:15 pm

After reading this topic, I must say I am proud of you Luisa!   I think you have a good head on your shoulders.  I am confident you will succeed with this surgery.  I am 55 years old and have a great support system but it is still hard at times.  That is just normal.   I am different in that I cannot have more than 60 grams of protein a day because I had a kidney removed.  So I include more veggies, fruit and carbs than most.  Although I am not losing fast, I am losing.  I am down 55 lbs in 4 months and feel great! 

Best of Luck to you honey, you will be just fine.

Judy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views