Protein Suggestions

Luisa728
on 9/13/15 3:28 pm

Thank you so much for your advice. I'll keep it all in mind for post-op! :) 

chevtow41
on 9/13/15 2:05 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Do you not like meat? 

On another point, a good amount of Tilapia is raised in China in a most unhealthy way. Google it, you may never eat it again. Just FYI

Luisa728
on 9/13/15 3:39 pm

I don't like red meat. I love white meat but I was wondering what vegetables are high in protein when I asked this question. I heard beans & lintels are the highest. & I'm not huge on fish either I love shrimp & salmon but I haven't had tilapia in a long time. I won't be able to have it for another while because surgery is right around the corner & I'll be on a liquid diet for at least 2-4 weeks. So I'm not to worried about it now; I was just wondering for the months following my liquid diet. Thanks for the heads up!

Eggface
on 9/13/15 5:15 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

There are some pretty great vegetarian protein sources but... early on... they are pretty dense... I am an RNYer and they would have been too heavy for me... perhaps a VSGer will speak to that... but things like... beans, lentils, peas, nuts, quinoa, meat substitutes TVP etc. are pretty heavy laying... so the first few weeks... might be hard... lots of veggie protein powders (soy, hemp, pea, etc they are not the tastiest generally) 

I'd also ask the nutritionist/dietitian working with your surgeon's program for a specialized plan for you. You aren't the first vegetarian in the program I'm guessing maybe they have some good resources for you or a fellow veggie postop local they can connect you with.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Eggface
on 9/13/15 5:17 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Oh I just read you eat some meat/fish... well cool. You should be fine then once you can have veggies on your plan. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Luisa728
on 9/13/15 7:18 pm

Thank you for your reply! Finally someone that gives me a list of different options instead of telling me there really aren't any vegetables that are a good source of protein. But yes I have spoken to my nutritionist & thankfully she tells me when I get to that part of my journey she can help me compile a list of vegetables & foods that are best to gain a good amount of protein! Thank you for you information it was very helpful!

Luisa

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views