Really want the surgery.

psychoticparrot
on 10/13/15 12:20 pm

If you can't find an insurance plan that will cover the surgery, you might consider having it done in Mexico for a fraction of what it would cost in the U.S. A lot of sleevers here got their surgery done in Mexico and have nothing but good things to say about it. Something to look into if your insurance will not cover it.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Mary Gee
on 10/13/15 1:48 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Yep, many employers exclude it to save money. I worked for a large company - when I first started there, their policy covered the surgery. I wasn't familiar with WLS at the time....when I finally learned about it and met people who had it, I decided it was something I wanted. Started the process and then learned my employer changed the plan - they added the exclusion to save money. I had never heard of going to Mexico (had not come across OH at that time) so it wasn't until about five years later I was able to get the surgery -- because I became disabled in the meantime and went on Social Security and finally had coverage.

I went to Orientation 11/13, had surgery 5/14. My insurer required six-month supervised diet requirement -- I was lucky I had been seeing my doctor monthly for over a year and every visit included discussions regarding diet and weight loss, and my insurer accepted a letter from him detailing same.

Good luck to you.

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Billy D.
on 10/13/15 2:50 pm, edited 10/13/15 7:53 am

Yes I have that insurance. It still took almost a year , 1st was going to a conference they made me go to where they talk about the different types of surgery and showed videos and testimonials of former patients, that took 3 hours. Then, 4 or 5 Nutritionist visits, Heart doctor stress testing, Gallbladder sonogram, psychiatrist, Endoscopy, Sleep Apnea test. The tests were easy, it is getting the appointments that delayed it for so long. I had diabetes so the insurance approved it fast. Than you have the pre surgery appointments, I had 3, two with surgeon and one with his staff, and than the 2 week pre=op diet and then finally the surgery! I feel like I wasted another year of my life but am so glad I did it. Good luck!

Bufflehead
on 10/13/15 3:01 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I had to wait a year to get my surgery due to various insurance and provider hiccups, as well as a mandatory six month supervised diet. It seemed like it took forever. I almost threw in the towel on working with insurance and went to Mexico and paid out of pocket. But I did eventually get my surgery, and I am so glad! My "side effects" from surgery consist of losing almost 200 lbs, having my formerly high blood pressure go into the normal range, huge decrease in my arthritis pain, fatty liver vanquished, and all the energy and freedom that comes from living life as a normal-sized person. Just the emotional freedom is great -- no more worrying if I will fit into a booth or an airplane seat, no more feeling like everyone is staring at me when I walk in the room. I can't even describe it. And keep in mind when you go online and read people talking about complications or problems -- complaining about problems is what people go online to do! If everything is great and works perfectly, most people aren't going to go on an online forum and talk about how flawless their life is. They come to places like this to seek information, advice, or just a place to vent when things go wrong, not when they go right. So you are getting an extremely skewed sample when you judge safety by looking at online forums and comments and things like that.

As far as what is likely to give you complications and kill you? Obesity is likely to do that. Extremely likely! And bariatric surgery is by far the most effective treatment known for obesity.

Tired_of_Weighting
on 10/15/15 9:41 pm

Very encouraging! I start my liquid diet tomorrow and have VSG on 10/26 and have been nervous. Especially about complications and loose skin.

breezy25
on 10/13/15 7:09 pm

I'm the type of person that when I make up my mind I want to do something I get really impatient and want to do it right then. I don't even know where to begin researching a surgeon.

Sandra F.
on 10/14/15 5:59 am

My insurance did not have the WLS rider, so it didn't cover it and I ended up going to Mexico. If you need info on my surgeon there, please in-box me. Good luck!

SATXVSG
on 10/14/15 6:39 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

I am fortunate to work for a company that covers the surgery. The company is self insured and used BCBS as the administrator of the plan. Not only was WLS covered, but there was no 6 month requirement. I saw the surgeon in January and was booked for surgery in April. I could have had the surgery in early February but we are in the middle of audit during that time and it was best to wait until the audit was over.

My wife had the surgery a year later and the company had switched to UHC as the administrator. Same coverage and still no 6 month requirement.

So it really depends on the employer's choice as to if it covered and what hoops you have to jump through to get the surgery.

I see so many heavy people at work and I just have to bite my tongue from saying, "Get the surgery, it works!"

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

breezy25
on 10/14/15 7:02 am

Well the new company is a huge hospital conglomerate (they own major hospitals all over the country) so I'm hoping it's fully covered and there aren't too many hoops to jump through. I absolutely cannot wait to start the process - the more and more I read and hear from people the more it confirms my decision. I went from worrying a few days ago to feeling better about it. I cannot continue on this path - I'm lucky to be young enough that my weight hasn't caused me too many issues. Of course I've only been 274 lbs for a year. Before that it was 220-240 - which I know is still a lot but not as bad. I'm 5'10" so I can carry a little more than some people. BUT my organs, my heart, it's not "big boned" lol - and those are the things that matter most when talking about being morbidly obese.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 312 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views