Stick to the plan?

NYMom222
on 2/10/16 10:23 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Every Surgeon's plan is a little different. My surgeon's plan was the same for RNY and sleeve. 60-80g protein and 64 oz fluids minimum. He wanted you to have a protein drink a day during weight loss. Those were the only things I've counted. He also said "protein first then veggies and then if you have enough room fruits and carbs" So he never said no carbs, but it was at the end of the list. While I will look at the calories and carbs of food items to make sure they aren't too high... I don't do a running tally for the day.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 2/10/16 11:06 pm - Warren, OH

Your surgeon will give you a plan.  Most of us stick with high protein and low carb.  What surgery does is give you a chance to get on a level playing field with people who do not suffer from obesity.  Long term maintenance will depend on your ability to eat the correct amount of calories to keep yourself at your goal weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

breezy25
on 2/11/16 4:52 am

So what would you consider a reasonable long term calorie count? Something "standard" like 1200 calories or something? I have also heard that after about a year your appetite comes back. Is that true?

I know I need to gain some self confidence and believe that I can do this. But as a person who has battled with weight their entire lives and failed at every diet out there....well, it just makes me scared I'll fail myself somehow. I have only begun having these doubts. I just have to force them out of my head!

White Dove
on 2/11/16 5:36 am - Warren, OH

For long term maintenance I multiplied my goal weight by 10.  It takes roughly 10 calories a day to maintain one pound.  My goal is 136 and I stay there on 1400 calories a day.  Some people might maintain on 2000 a day.  I weigh daily and also track my food.  

What surgery does is give you a chance to get to an ideal weight and gives a tool that can be used to maintain.  I eat high protein.  I have not felt hunger since surgery. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

robinreinhardt
on 2/11/16 3:35 pm

Breezy,

I too was so scared to fail. I just knew after being overweight for so long and tried every plan and diet over the years that this was my last ditch effort. Trust me when I say it works. I am really happy that I had wls. Not that it is always easy but it works. Wait until you are ready for a lifestyle change.

Robin

ubserved
on 2/11/16 1:05 am

The plan I had was liquids on the pre op diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery. For weeks 1-2 post surgery it was still liquids, weeks 3-4 puree's, weeks 5-8 soft foods, like chicken salad, tuna salad, cottage cheese, etc. Once you get to week 9 and after, it's an open choice as far as variety. That doesn't mean swapping out protein for cake or pie or ice cream or whatever garbage food you want to put into your mouth. You follow the plan of protein first, veggies second, fruits if any last. When I say open choice, I mean if you want some sliced meat, you don't have to pulverize it first, you can choose according to what your tastes are within reason and have what your sleeve will tolerate. Some people have said that a certain food they liked before they can't eat now, that it doesn't taste right to them. I haven't had the problem so I don't know. I have kept my food choices now at over 12 weeks post surgery to tuna salad, chicken salad, crab salad, chili, sliced meats, etc. Pretty simple for the most part. I still have my yogurts and protein shakes as well. Not all at the same time mind you. Each doctor has their own plan they will give, some have you starting purees and soft foods sooner, some later. The schedule I was one that I listed above worked exceptionally well for me. Good luck.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/11/16 5:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There is your surgeons plan and there is The Plan. For the few months before and after surgery, it's important to follow your surgeon's plan. You need to heal and recuperate from the surgery.

Long term, you will be successful with The Plan. Dense protein, low carb, increased activity. 

The problem with many surgeon's plans long term is, they include a lot of crap that gets too many of us in trouble. They include things like mashed potatoes, toast, crackers, rice, etc. You will be far better off avoiding those sorts of things completely. Some surgeons say specifically to NOT count carbs or calories. That's just absurd. You'll be more successful counting those things closely.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

breezy25
on 2/11/16 5:11 am

Yes, I have to agree with you there. Just from tracking food (like a million times over the years from dieting) I know how easy it is to overindulge and not even realize it. Too much fruit, a sip of this, a taste of that etc. Adds up.

But what I want to know is...does your appetite change? I know this is not a diet but it's more restrictive eating. Does your body adjust to less and not physically make you want more? I'm talking more long term. Out of the weight loss phase. I'm sure it's different for everyone.

Grim_Traveller
on 2/11/16 5:23 am, edited 2/10/16 9:21 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It varies a lot. For the vast majority, hunger diappears completely for about a year, give or take a little. This is your best chance to drop a lot of weight without climbing the walls.

After that, it does vary a lot. A fair number of people say hunger never comes back. I envy them. For myself, like most people, we'd describe it as being hungry, but not hungry like before surgery. Appropriately hungry perhaps, as opposed to crazy starving hungry.

It doesn't seem to make a difference which surgery you had. The same percentages of RNY and VSG have the same experiences.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/11/16 12:53 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I can only speak for myself, but yes, my appetite changed.  Or more accurately, the food I used to eat (junk/fast food daily) just doesn't rock my world any more.  I am not a great cook, but I do like eating food that I prepare that's fresh and nutritious.  

I truly don't experience physical hunger.  I'm one of the lucky ones.  But I still struggle with head hunger.  That hasn't gone away.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views