A warning for VSG folks that were previously banded

(deactivated member)
on 5/4/16 7:43 pm
On May 4, 2016 at 1:11 PM Pacific Time, Laura in Texas wrote:

"I hate bypass, I think it sets people up for failure, it is very unforgiving, and I refused. I knew a sleeve could potentially make reflux worse but I was willing to take the chance.  I wanted a sleeve and not bypass."

A bypass would have prevented further damage, but to each his own.

I am another bypass patient almost 8 years out who had a BMI of 53 and now I maintain at a BMI of 22 with no health issues. It did not set me up for failure. Stop trying to scare people.

We all get to make our own choices. Hopefully others will learn from your experiences with the band and the VSG.

I thought the same.  In the beginning I thought the risk of reflux being worse would be the only possibly issue.  I did not know it is progressive.  I was willing to risk taking a PPI to avoid bypass.  I do not like the surgery type and I have the right.  It's my body, my choice.  It was back then and it is today.

Bypass might have slowed it down, but it would not have stopped it.  But I did not know that until about 3 weeks ago and I am comfortable it did not get massively worse in three weeks.

My ONLY point here is if you had a band just be aware.  That's all, no drama, no bickering, no childish posts (not yours).

Just get an upper endo if you had a band.  That is my message.

Most Active