Portion size info needed

cappy11448
on 7/24/16 3:10 am

I remember at one month post op, I could only eat about 1 ounce of food.  That's one sea scallop! -  about 4 bites of food. 

My Nutritionist told me that my tummy was still swollen, and sometimes it took 7 weeks for the swelling to go down.  This is exactly what happened for me.  At 7 weeks my capacity started increasing. 

So it looks like you are following a similar path.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  It will never be easier to lose weight than now. 

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

petra65
on 7/24/16 4:49 am - AL
VSG on 06/28/16

I had my surgery a week after you and find I average 500-700 calories/day.  I have had a few days above and below those numbers.  I tend to eat my food which is pureed stage at this point out of these little plastic cups that hold about 1/2 cup.  I often can't finish.  I think one of the biggest challenges when I started eating "food" was the mental idea of how much I used to be able to eat and now realizing I can't eat that anymore.  

I have read a couple people on here comment that they they try to eat something everything 3 hours.  I think that is a good goal and am trying to institute that.  I still struggle with separating the eating and drinking but am getting better with it.  I also see people who are further out than I am commenting that they are eating 1000-1200 calories/day so I know it will come with time.  

I went back to work this past week.  It can be difficult to figure out how to fit the eating, vitamins, fluids, around your work but it is getting better.  I also find I eat slower now.  The people I work with have been very supportive and that has been really helpful.  You will get through this.  A lot of it is a mental battle.  Hang in there.

Consultation Weight: 261. SW: 241. CW: 191  GW: 135

Donna L.
on 7/24/16 8:46 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

It's extremely normal for the period after surgery.  You are only a month out.  The biggest issue the first few months is staying hydrated.  Don't worry about food as much.  We have plenty of stored energy - that's why we need surgery in the first place!

Capacity is lower at first because our stomach is swollen for several weeks, if not months.  Over time the capacity increases because the swelling reduces.  I can easily eat two cups of food in one sitting now, probably.  I think?  I haven't tried, but I wouldn't be surprised, especially if it was a slider food.  You will absolutely not slowly starve yourself.  Many of us have the opposite issue: it's far too easy to eat a year out!  Weight gain can easily be accomplished due to food volume.  Have no fear of that.  There are tons of stories about people who have regained for this reason.

As for portion sizes, I eat 4 oz by weight of meat, and, if I have room, 1/2 cup of greens/veggies/fruit per meal.  I could easily eat a whole sandwich now (a large one) if I wanted.  Again, your capacity will dramatically increase the more you heal. Enjoy this time while you can.  If I am not careful I can still easily eat 2000 calories a day.  I typically eat 700-1000 (80g protein day/average), though, which is what my nutritionist wanted.

Normal post-op portions seem to be about a 1-1.5 cups per meal on average (by volume).  It depends on your nutritionist and your personal anatomy. 

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

FuturePinUp
on 7/25/16 7:46 am

When I was first out from surgery (Day 1 to about 10 months) I could eat 1/4 cup or 3-4 oz of food at one time.

Now that it's been 13 months, I am settled at around 6 oz per meal. Of course, it really depends on what I'm eating. Typically a meal for me will be like 4-5 oz. of protein and the rest in veggies.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active