Update: Bad News and Good News

Donna L.
on 8/26/16 4:47 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

You're doing great recognizing this.  I spent the last month ignoring depression, myself.  I need to lose my next 100 lbs (140 since surgery) but it has been a bad month or two because I made poor choices and looked the other way feeling mopey.  It can be hard, and I salute you for doing it :)

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

happyteacher
on 8/26/16 5:42 pm

I think you have the right idea, you are tracking and back on plan. You are monitoring the depression with a plan of action should it not let up. You have a specific walking goal. Proud of you!

When the grandbaby returns maybe make a healthier pizza. I used to do this all the time with my kids and it was always much loved. The dough can be an english muffin or low carb tortilla (bakes to be thin and crispy crust- very tasty!). Spaghetti can be made with whole wheat noodles, that kind of thing :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 8/26/16 7:00 pm

I'm already planning meals for the little guy for next summer. The leaner pizza suggestion is good, although I know he will insist on topping it with pepperoni (maybe grandma will "forget" to buy it).

I just came across an Asian recipe for a savory pancake that has grated (read "hidden") vegetables in it that is dipped in soy sauce. He might go for that. I'm also combing through sites that provide information about getting vegetables into reluctant kids.

It's not just my health at stake; I'm worried about him too. His diet is atrocious. I've talked to my son about it; he's also concerned, but he and my DIL (who are both somewhat overweight) let him rule the roost when it comes to diet. Ah well, they're doing the best they can, I suppose.

psychoticparrot

Oneillch
on 8/26/16 5:53 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

Welcome back & congrats on your recommitment. Sorry to hear you're having issues, but small steps may be the best way for you to handle it. 

As for your grandson, be assured he won't starve if you don't have the type of food in the house that you don't want to deal with. My family has learned to live without chips, potatoes & pasta because I just don't make it or want to deal with it. When my husband has a craving for pizza, he makes his own with pita or naan on the grill. You can also try cooking with your grandson. It's surprising how the kids will try different things when they make it. 

Stay focused & those 10 lbs will come off. It's tough!

psychoticparrot
on 8/26/16 7:07 pm

Oneillch wrote: "As for your grandson, be assured he won't starve if you don't have the type of food in the house that you don't want to deal with."

That's the thing, though. He will starve rather than eat food he doesn't like! Here's an example -- Last year my DIL, who is a Filipina, traveled with my grandson to the Philippines to visit family. They didn't have enough time during layovers to stop and eat, so the only food available to them was airplane meals. He refused to eat them. He refused to eat anything, even though he was extremely hungry! Only when they landed in Manila did he finally eat something -- a burger, I think. Talk about stubborn. My work is cut out for me.

psychoticparrot

Oneillch
on 8/27/16 1:41 pm
VSG on 02/04/15

This sounds more like a power struggle. Eventually he will eat, especially if he has a hand in making something.

psychoticparrot
on 8/28/16 11:35 am

You're absolutely right. I think he enjoys the attention (however negative) that he gets from parents and grandparents who coax him to try healthier foods. It has nothing to do with the food itself.

psychoticparrot

Lodie
on 8/27/16 7:39 am
VSG on 10/15/14

It was nice to see your post this morning. OH has remained part of my morning routine for almost two years since surgery. It is supportive and I find it helpful to start my day with a reset regarding eating mindfully. It would seem that you have some good insight into your regain and depression. I have worked mental health for years and have a close family member who struggles with MDD. No one wants to be on meds. The concerns you have voiced are valid, but I would mention that a depressed state of mind is not good for the physical state of the body either. It seems that sometimes it is "six of one, v/s half a dozen of the other". Thankfully you have a medication that has proved to be effective. You have a long history of dealing with these issues and you have put a good plan in place. The daily walk you have in mind will help both body and mind.  Your eating will fall back into a good place now that you are tracking. Getting a handle on the depression would be a great place to start. as you have mentioned other issues fall into place easier when your mind is in a happier place. Keep us updated on how your doing.

HW=263  SW=253 CW=160 GW=140

psychoticparrot
on 8/28/16 11:41 am

Thanks for your good advice. Indeed, depression is so debilitating that I will start back on the meds if it doesn't lift soon. However, I'm already finding that by restarting my good eating habits and daily walks, I'm already feeling quite a bit better. I'm counting down on two weeks, though. If I'm not feeling pretty darn good by then, back on the meds I go.

psychoticparrot

LeapSecond
on 8/27/16 7:40 pm - AR

Welcome back.   Sounds like you have a plan ready to go.

So sorry to hear that you have depression.  I have treatment resistant depression.  Some meds put me to sleep and others don't work long if they ever work.  You have a Med and it works for you and you are mildly depressed.  What is your reluctance to restart your meds? Just curious and or jealous.  If I could eat a pill and not be depressed I would be first in line at the pharmacy.  Depression does suck.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

Most Active