Vegetarians?

Heather M.
on 9/23/16 7:35 am

Then fi**** is...thanks!

HW: 327    Prep weight: 310    CW: 294

Height: 5'11"  BMI: 43% Age: 49 (looking for 100 lb off for 50th birthday in July 2017, baby!)

Surg date: Sep 27/16

Mai23
on 9/24/16 8:41 pm, edited 9/24/16 1:49 pm

I'm a vegetarian sleever. I've gained a lot of weight back though. Mostly in the past two years. I got depressed, stopped going to bikram yoga and boy did I pack on the pounds. Immediately after my surgery I didn't have any protein problems though. And I could not tolerate the protein powders, like I tried them all and eventually gave up because they all just made me gag. I don't eat fish but I did have a ton of eggs. My labs are fine now, they were fine then. And they were fine during my many years of daily bikram yoga and I don't go out of my way to eat a ton of beans or anything. Being a vegetarian with the sleeve is quite easy but you are more likely to fail than someone who can fill up their sleeve for a very long time with a steak. Keep that in mind. 

Also greek yogurt is great and some brands have like 17 grams of protein. You'll be fine. This is not the ds or the RNY. But your weight loss and being able to maintain your weight will be harder. 

boudiceatx
on 9/29/16 5:36 am, edited 9/28/16 10:36 pm

I'm a vegetarian with some fish.  I had my sleeve 7/30/15, and I'm currently in maintenance.  I try to only eat foods that are high in fiber and avoid the bad carbs.  Last night I had a salad from Chipotle with brown rice, beans, lettuce, salsa, corn, and guacamole.  I probably didn't even eat a 1/3 of it before I was full.  So, far so good...but I know that if I ever start eating the junk carbs again I could get in trouble very, very fast.  I know that by being a vegetarian, I'm probably at an even higher risk of regain than average so I try to stay conscious of this fact. 

Heather M.
on 9/29/16 2:16 pm

That so resonates with me about the carb risk. Thanks for the honest advice. I'll be looking for a dietician when I get home. Best of luck in maintenance and huge congrats for your progress so far!

HW: 327    Prep weight: 310    CW: 294

Height: 5'11"  BMI: 43% Age: 49 (looking for 100 lb off for 50th birthday in July 2017, baby!)

Surg date: Sep 27/16

Most Active