2 weeks post op - am I eating too much?

Grim_Traveller
on 11/5/16 4:59 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There is a difference. Eating 30 grams of protein and only absorbing 10, as with collagen, is one thing. Eating 30 grams of whey isolate , you absorb about 29 grams. Nearly 100 percent.

You cannot, cannot, cannot, eat 10 grams of protein and absorb 30 grams. You just can't.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/3/16 3:33 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

What you are "eating" now is basically liquid. You can eat liquids all day long and not be full. When you get to solid, denser food you won't be able to eat very much. In addition, your nerves were cut during surgery, and you won't feel anything for quite a while still. That's why it's important to measure portions, and not rely on feelings.

You can't stretch anything with liquids and purees. But from here on out, measure, measure, measure.

Doctors and nutritionists give out really bad diet advice. Just terrible. You will be much more successful if you follow the examples of people who had surgery, lost all their weight, and have maintained it for years.

For example, no beef for one year? There is no reason for that at all. None. I was eating beef at 8 weeks. Now, beef does not agree with everyone. But some take 6 months to handle eggs, or chicken, or raw veggies. If you can eat beef ok at two months, that's not a problem.

Some programs say no coffee because it's a diuretic. It isn't, and there have been many scientific studies proving it. Most people tolerate coffee just fine, and it can help with the fluids we need.

There is no reason to eat low fat. Keep fat low enough, and you will have many problems, constipation being a big one. Low fat diets have been discredited as well.

And you don't want to hear this, but Genepro is crap. Genepro, Humapro, Peptipro and others make scientifically invalid claims. They say they have "shrunk" the protein molecule so that it is absorbed three times better. If someone has a shrink ray, we wouldn't need surgery.

Look at the label. It will say 56 calories and 30 grams of protein, with an asterisk next to it, that says "Equivalent." There is only 10 grams of protein in that serving of Genepro, which is why there is only 56 calories, and the serving is so small, and dissolves so well. Eat it if you want to, but there are currently lawsuits against that company. This is your health, and there are too many reputable protein suppliers to play Russian roulette with your health.

6'3" tall, male.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

AK_Gipson
on 11/3/16 4:48 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

2.5 years out and I still can't eat an egg. I can put it in a casserole and eat it, but not a plain egg. Not boiled, deviled, fried, scrambled, baked, nothing. 

HW:292 / SW:258 / CW 173.9

Grim_Traveller
on 11/3/16 5:32 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I can't eat an egg unless it's baked into a brownie, or cookies.

6'3" tall, male.

AK_Gipson
on 11/3/16 5:39 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

That's the best way to eat them, of course! 

JustElena
on 11/3/16 4:07 pm
VSG on 10/18/16

My post must have been confusing. Thank you for all the info on protein. That is not my question. I am neither agreeing nor disaggreeing with anything said, it is simply an argument I have no interest in participating in. I understand your health, your emotional outlook and your new body all need to work together, I am not disagreeing with anyone on any of their comments. It just isn't the question I'm asking in this particular post.

My question is in regards to food. At what stage are certain foods safe to eat on a healing stomach. One answer said 8 weeks for steak, my Dr's guidelines say one year. I am just  wondering if there are any sort of standard guidelines for this info. Same in regards to low fat and high fat. Does every Dr just use his own experience/knowledge or is there any sort of written researched guidelines. Because I haven't really been able to find anything concrete in my searches, but I am also new to this world.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/3/16 5:35 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

The ASMBS has extensive guidelines for pretty much everything. But individual doctors are all over the place. You won't find a standard answer. But the vast majority of surgeobs and their programs have really crappy nutritional advice, so take it all with a grain of salt.

6'3" tall, male.

JustElena
on 11/3/16 5:48 pm
VSG on 10/18/16

Thank you very much. I appreciate all the help.

califsleevin
on 11/3/16 5:57 pm - CA

It mostly goes by the experience of the surgeon or practice, as there are no standard guidelines other than various "consensus" papers that are sometimes published, Most surgeons draw on their bypass experience as that is what most learned on and do the most while others were early adopters of the sleeve (mostly docs who transitioned to the DS as their preferred procedure) and have gone by that experience. Most of the DS/sleeve guys tend to have more rapid progressions than the bypass oriented practices - the bypass has greater concerns with things getting stuck in the stoma, and healing issues with the dissimilar tissues that are grafted together, so they tend to be more conservative on their early dietary advice. I was on eggs, yogurt and other soft foods, along with liquids, from the hospital on out while others are on liquids for weeks. I don't know where the beef restriction comes from as that is not a common thing, though some will have problems with ground beef for a while (our doc told my wife to try filet instead when she had that complaint, worked like a charm.)

Fat intake is mostly a function of calories. If our calories are low enough to promote the desired weight loss, and our protein intake is appropriate for our lean mass, our diet will by default be low fat and low carb without any great effort on that front. There is about a 60 calorie difference between a cup of skim milk vs. whole milk, which works out to 8-10% of many peoples' daily caloric budget, so it can add up quickly. OTOH, if one is adding a bit of mayo to some tuna salad, the difference between the real full fat stuff vs. the low fat alternatives are minimal for the amount used. Longer term, one can afford more fat as one moves into maintenance and have a higher caloric budget, but many run into problems if they don't keep an eye on their overall calorie intake relative to their metabolism.

'

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

AK_Gipson
on 11/3/16 4:44 pm
VSG on 04/14/14

Don't push the 4-6 oz. Your nerves have been cut, you can NOT feel full. You are hurting your new stomach but you can't feel it yet. You can NOT, I repeat NOT rely on ANY body signals. Weigh and measure. Measure and weigh. You should not be hungry, grumbling/ growling noises are usually gas or acid. NOT hunger pains. 

Low fat was explained to me as being a low calorie issue. Lower fat has less cals.