Protein suggestions

Rachel B.
on 12/9/16 2:52 pm, edited 12/10/16 9:45 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Unjury chicken soup is a little salty, but you can use unjury at about 130 degrees.  It is like a cream of chicken soup, which is WONDERFUL when the weather is cold. 

I use Optimum Nutrition and Unjury.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

rocky513
on 12/9/16 4:44 pm - WI

Atkins has a clear protein drink that has zero sugar and 20 grams of whey isolate protein (the easiest protein to absorb).  It's called Lift.  I like the lemon flavor with an extra squirt of raspberry lemonade Mio Water Enhancer.  It's not too sweet and fairly easy to drink over a glass full of ice. I take one along with me in the car if I'm out running errands and won't have time to stop and eat.

https://www.atkins.com/products/atkins-lift-protein-bars-dri nks/protein-drinks/lift-lemon-flavored-protein-drink

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

jachristmas
on 12/9/16 7:21 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

And you can buy samples of the unjury chicken soup..just go to their website..I just ordered some to try after I have surgery Wednesday!

Cathy H.
on 12/9/16 7:34 pm, edited 12/9/16 11:37 am
VSG on 10/31/16

You can mix your whey protein powder into any liquid that is 130 degrees or less.  While I was on Phases 1 and 2, I made my own protein soup just using a good broth and mixing in the unflavored protein powder.  I've used both Syntrax Nectar and Isopure Zero, and for the money I prefer Isopure Zero.  One scoop is 26g protein and it mixes in great with liquids.  I never used the pre-mixed drinks because they all had what my grandma would call "a farewell taste" lol.  Made my own with the unflavored protein powder added to skim milk, then I either added cocoa, or a variety of flavorings without added sugar (I used Goodman's brand) like banana, coconut and pineapple.  Coconut and pineapple--Pina Colada!!  Cocoa and coconut--Mounds Bar!!  Was nice to make any variety.  I also added protein powder to either the cottage cheese or yogurt, too.  During my Phase 2 I also was allowed cream soups as long as they were pureed smooth, adding to potato soup was a great, tasty way to get to that daily total.  Best of luck!

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Heather_Austin
on 12/9/16 9:06 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I try to hit 90-100g protein a day on 1200 calories or less so I rely on one premier protein shake a day still.

It's boring but I like Greek yogurt when I want to eat something instead of a protein shake I use the Costco unflavored Greek yogurt, add some triple berry frozen fruit after microwaving for 30 seconds and some splenda.  

Post op on the soft diet I like refrained beans and a little cheddar cheese. I got sick of all of the protein powders.  

For quick protein I also like things like endamame, string cheese, canned albacore tuna with a little Greek yogurt.

Heather - Austin, TX

sds0029
on 12/10/16 8:25 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Just my two cents.  At your stage I wouldn't worry about  about meeting protein goal.  I remember how long it took to get down one premier.  I don't like milk products but premier protein chocolate got me through.  I tried so many products ($$$) but could not handle the consistency.  My NUT told me to try plan protein powder ($$$) with V8 juice.  Pew...  

bbest of luck 

diane S.
on 12/10/16 11:50 am

well you are just a couple of weeks out so I think you are doing fine with 2 premiers a day or you could dilute them with skim milk.  There are some low calorie protein soups (tomato is pretty good) offered by lapsf.com but I think you can also get them from health wise. And I am sure propel is fine as water. Don't worry too much. in a couple of weeks you will be able to expand what you consume.  Lots of health food stores sell single packs of protein drinks so you can try them out with out buying 50 pounds. I like Teras-whey. Tastes better.   Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

NYMom222
on 12/10/16 4:24 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I know there are a lot of naysayers in the Genepro group, but I'm not one of them, There selling tactics are sketchy....I agree but I have used it to bring my protein numbers up- ie on my bloodwork and it helped... as tasteless as they come.

That being said, Syntrax nectars are very tasty, I love the fuzzy navel, it is the only one I've ever tried that tastes good mixed in water, I dilute a lot then add extra sweetener. I make sure they are 100% whey isolate ones...as those are the most easily absorbed protein and lactose free...

Inspire on bariatriceating.com also taste good and are 100% whey protein isolate.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Babygotsleeved
on 12/12/16 4:13 am
VSG on 11/29/16

I really can't drink those shakes any more! I have been using blended soups. Beef vegetable, bean, lentil, Tuscan white bean, etc. just as long as they don't have any rice/noodles/potatoes. I blend it up, measure my 1/2 cup, supplement with unflavored protein powder and thin it to drink-ability (I'm still on full liquids) and I'm good. I've been hitting my protein goals every day doing this. I even get a little fiber as well. I have to drink them pretty slowly and usually have to reheat it before I can finish, but it's working for me! 

There are a lot of good ideas on here. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views