Seeking Carb Free Pasta

idnas
on 1/9/17 11:08 am
VSG on 08/05/16

IDK what Miracle Noodles are, but I was watching a cooking show this weekend where the pasta is made from chickpeas and they are really low carb.

HW: 312 SW: 294 CW: 225

Rachel B.
on 1/9/17 7:40 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Now there's a thought - purée chickpeas & dry them to noodles...

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

AD_Jordan
on 1/9/17 8:20 pm

There's a company called Banza that makes chickpea pasta. No lasagna noodles, though.  Also not no-carb. IMO, it has sort of a "nutty" flavor. 

VSG on 11/15/16 . . . HW: +/- 265 . . . SW: 252 . . . CW: 187 (as of 5/22/17)

happyteacher
on 1/10/17 3:02 am

I use a product by Fibergourmet. Not no carb, but net carbs are better. For me the important thing was more about what it does to the blood sugar levels- no spikes and no triggering crazy cravings from it. If you dig a little look for the brands marketed for diabetics- those are managed more tightly for that. I know that my diabetic father-in-law has a brand he can eat, but it escapes me now what it is. Finally, I now make my lasagna using spaghetti squash instead of noodles. Hubby and I love it just as much as regular lasagna. If you do that in conjunction with a fat free ricotta then the stats are actually weight loss phase friendly.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Rachel B.
on 1/10/17 6:18 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

Do you dry out the spagetti squash?

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

happyteacher
on 1/10/17 2:52 pm

No. First I literally toss the entire thing into my pressure cooker (not even punctured). Cook at high pressure for 20 minutes (with 1.5 cup water in the pan with it.) It comes out, the peel literally falls off. Pull out the squash, let it drain in a strainer for a bit. Season it with salt and pepper, then back in a dish and layered like typical lasagna. Back in the Instant Pot, high pressure until heated through (doesn't take long but I would have to dig out my notes for that time, let me know if you need it). It does come out not having the same structure I guess due to the squash not perfectly maintaining the layer when you di**** up, but it is damn good! Even my hubby who positively adores my traditional lasagna likes it just as well as my old crappy nutrition version. 

I do make my own meat sauce in large batches and freeze it. This way I can keep the sugar and crap out, and use a very lean protein (ground chicken or turkey). That makes a big difference on the overall stats as well. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Valerie G.
on 1/12/17 4:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Try swapping thin sliced eggplant or zucchini instead of noodles.  I never went back

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

diane S.
on 1/14/17 12:09 pm

Yeah, thin sliced zucchini that is lightly grilled in a skillet makes a great lasagne noodle substitute. I think Cafe Frisco has a good recipe. 

There are also those weird Asian noodles that come in a bag of fluid. I forget the name. They are made from taro root. They smell kind of weird. They must be prepared correctly or they are gross. First rinse them very thoroughly in a colander. then put them in a non stick skillet and dry out any excess moisture. Only then will they be free of weird taste and can have pasta sauce. I quit using them because they have little protein and take up tummy space that needs protein. They come in a number of shapes. Tell us if you find some other thing. Diane S.

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 462 views