Can't SHAKE the shakes!

AggieMae
on 1/14/17 7:39 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I understand that dense protein keeps you feeling fuller than protein drinks . In theory a person would be less likely to over eat if they are not hungry.if you don't over eat you you lose weight and your surgery will be considered successful.

But doctors, not just bariatric surgeons really do tend to take a "one size fits all" approch because it's easiest for them not because it's the best thing for you.

If you are having shakes, getting enough protein but not to many calories, how you get them doesn't matter. 

In cases of people like me who never ate breakfast before WLS, which is a pretty common habit amoung obese people, have a shake instead of nothing seem reasonable to me.

Laura in Texas
on 1/9/17 7:01 pm

I agree with the others that it is a good plan, but there are also people like me (8 years out and at goal) who still have a protein shake for breakfast.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

hollykim
on 1/10/17 7:56 am, edited 1/9/17 11:56 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 9, 2017 at 7:46 PM Pacific Time, P goode wrote:

My surgeon wants all my 80 grams of protein from food not shakes.  Has anyone else had a dietician or surgeon want this?  He is adamant about it and I just can't eat enough at one time to do it. I have to include 1 premier protein shake per day to get close. I am snacking on protein, and I can only get to about 50 grams with the portions that I am able to eat at one time but I have a lot of restriction and It's so hard to do.. I am trying to make time for pureeing meats so I can increase my qty's.  I am looking at what most of you post you are eating- you must be able to eat more at once than I can because it looks like you guys are only eating 3 times a day and some of you 4. 

thanks,

P

a couple thoughts... while it is good to follow ur surgeons plan, you can only do what you can do. Surgeons are just people, they are not gods. They are also in our employ.  You can get adamant right back at him and if you choose to use a protein shake until you can get it all from food,that is your choice. 

What does a typical day's menu look like for you?

Sammy2929
on 1/10/17 9:14 am
VSG on 05/02/16

We had surgery around the same time.  My surgeon has no problems with the supplement either.  I use one premier protein a day for breakfast because I've never been a breakfast eater.  This way I get in 80-100 protein everyday.  And it does keep me full until lunch time.

Lynn D

Age:52, Height 5'4", HW 299, SW 282.6, Current weight as of 02/22/17 159 lbs.

M1 30, M2 25, M3 30,  M4-9 M5 ? M-6,7,8 25lbs, M 9 1/2 ?

(deactivated member)
on 1/10/17 9:48 am

My surgeon was the same. However, I argued that he had made me such a nice tight sleeve that unless he wanted me eating every 2 hours, I had to incorporate at least one shake per day for quite some time. When I described my protein coffee to him, he smiled and said that he couldn't possibly take that away from me and that I did have a very valid point. He said getting adequate protein during the losing phase was more important than not drinking liquid calories.

I won that battle! I still use a shake as a breakfast each day. I'm 5 years post op. 

lovely28168
on 1/10/17 10:28 am
VSG on 11/22/16

Hi, I am on one Protein Premier shake a day for breakfast and mix some fiber powder in and some frozen strawberries or frozen blueberries to make it nice and cold and foamy. My surgeon wants me to eat at least 8 small meals a day preferably with protein. He says your stomach is a very small fuel tank now and you need to refill it every two hours in order to keep your metabolism going. You can also buy flavorless protein powder and mix it in with your other food like in soup or scrambled egg. I am 7 weeks out of surgery now and feeling very well. I can eat everything and do not get nauseus. Good luck with your weight loss!

catwoman7
on 1/10/17 7:06 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

my surgeon's office said most people are off shakes by a year out, but they don't force us off or anything.  I need to average 100 grams of protein a day or my prealbumin level tanks, so I'm still drinking a shake every day because it's otherwise a challenge to get it up that high.  I guess I could if I pretty much just ate meat, but I like variety.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

P goode
on 1/11/17 9:13 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

Thanks everyone. I have noticed that chicken breast is the biggest challenge and I also have to be careful with eggs. I can do about  1.5 oz then have to stop. I get busy at work and just can't get it all in without the convenience of a shake. I really have to focus on hydration also so it feels sometimes like I'm eating or drinking all day- anyone else feel that way? I can manage 1/3c cottage cheese. Fish does seem to be easier I agree. I am trying to learn to prepare it at home so it will have a good texture- pointers and recipes? The dietician encourages beans too and those are pretty doable. I have 0 hunger and that makes it an issue sometimes to eat the dense protein because I find it off-putting. I am trying to learn to like greek yogurt also ?

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

Rosalie123
on 1/12/17 8:33 am

My surgeon said the same as yours. I get my protein with meat, fish, eggs, and yogurt.

RNY 2/24/15

OutsideMatchInside
on 1/14/17 7:42 pm
VSG on 07/15/15

When I had a lot of restriction I ate soft baked white fish 4 times a day to get to 80 grams of protein a day without shakes. The fish basically turns to mush in your mouth so it shouldn't be an issue getting in 4  to 5 ounces of it at a time.

If you don't like seafood then I don't know.

HW:370 Weight at First Consult: 365 Surgery 7/15/2015 Weight:358 CW: 187 Previous Clothing Size: 28/30 Current Clothing Size: 8/10

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 85 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views