I wish I never had vsg surgery

AggieMae
on 3/30/17 12:48 am
VSG on 10/25/16
On March 29, 2017 at 11:40 AM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote:

"over eaters anomalous" is probably the best typo I have ever read.

I have a new pad. It has also changed "weight loss" into "Westinghouse" and "WLS" into "LED"...

Better go back to proof reading!

Gwen M.
on 3/30/17 6:32 am
VSG on 03/13/14

No, please, do not go back to proof reading! :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MizHzleyes
on 3/29/17 6:02 am
VSG on 02/05/18

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling. Finding a good therapist and team of doctors is definitely a trial and error process. I am sure that once you find a team of doctors that are willing to listen to you and that you connect with, it will make this process bearable. It is also a good idea to have a support group of family and friends to help you through this process. I am new to this part of the journey but I have been struggling with my weight long enough to know that you cant do this alone. Try and find something to do that is fun that you can do when you feel like binge eating. I pray that things get better for you.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/29/17 6:35 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I also suffer from Binge Eating Disorder.

I won't repeat the good advice you've already gotten -- but I do recognize the utter feeling of despair and lack of control behind your post -- I have been there. I have also felt completely helpless and out of control -- and most of all, unheard.

I hear you.

You are NOT alone. There are so many of us that struggle with the same dysfunctional coping device of binging.

Keep in mind that even using a dysfunctional coping device is actually a sign of being resourceful when faced with a lack of other options. That realization is lot different than the black and white feeling of "failing" or "succeeding."

Sometimes just knowing that you are not the only one, really helps.

I truly hope you find the right team to help you.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

nedsmehlp
on 3/30/17 6:57 pm - Hutchinson, KS

Please don't give up. You didn't fail the surgery, the surgery failed you. At the pre surgery weight you were at you should have had the DS surgery. There are more and more revisions from VSG to DS. I know because I am one of them. Check into the DS, you have to eat 100g or more of protein a day and full fat, no low fat or fat free. At least, check into it along with your counseling.

Gwen M.
on 3/30/17 7:17 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

As someone who is a) not her doctor and b) probably not anyone's doctor, you cannot say that she should have had the DS surgery.

In addition - most people on the forums eat full fat with VSG and many of us get close to 100g of protein a day, and some of us get more. So that's not really a selling point for DS over VSG.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

nedsmehlp
on 3/31/17 10:57 am - Hutchinson, KS

Gwen, I am not and don't claim to be a Dr. Just as you and others respond, I was responding with MY opinion! So don't get your dander up!!! I was just giving her another option to check into.

Donna L.
on 4/3/17 11:48 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Patients I've worked with who have had the DS and an eating disorder still have weight loss issues after surgery. One client gained weight even though she had a Hess method DS from a very renown surgeon.

While the DS weight loss is currently the most significant statistically, it is not necessarily a better choice for an eating disorder. The eating disorder must be treated, as that is the cause of the weight.

As for just the sleeve, I agree that a full fat high-protein diet is actually preferable for the sleeve as well as the DS. I eat that way with a sleeve and do not gain weight - and in fact, lose weight very well. It is only when my eating disorder rises up that there are weight loss issues.

Much of weight loss is hormonal. Don't get me wrong; the malabsorption of the DS is very effective. Eating the same diet with a sleeve or RNY is also quite effective, as well. Both together are a powerhouse, for sure, though.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 157 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 429 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 447 views