Difficult bowl movements after surgery, am I the only one to deal with it?

gh438
on 10/15/18 3:08 am
VSG on 10/18/18

Thank you Kara. I was shocked that I did not have to drink anything the day before surgery. To help clean me out. I've checked and double checked my notebook and nothing.

I tried Miralax and it worked. I'll ask the surgeon why they say to avoid it.

Surgery Date: 10/18/2018

6'1" Male

HW: 471. SW: 459 (post). GW: 225

facetedginger
on 10/15/18 6:40 am

While I always recommend checking with your Dr and NUT, it does sound fairly normal for you.

I also struggle with this post-VSG but this was not my normal prior. Working in a hospital, I see and treat this frequently. We regularly recommend a few things to help move things along ;) .

Hot liquid (teas, coffee, warm prune juice, etc.)

Smooth move tea

Up the healthy fats

Up your fiber

Make sure you're drinking enough water

Stool softeners as needed (NOT LAXATIVES)

I personally take 3 dulcolax (generic store brand) each day and drink one packet or miralax every other day. This keeps me "regular" every three days or so.

Kara D.
on 10/15/18 7:47 am
VSG on 03/02/15

Those sound like things I should consider. I talked to my PCP, she recommended the fiber pills. I haven't seen any difference. I do take the generic stool softeners 2 a day. I need to get some miralax to try. It's not a problem in the sense of pain or IBS, but I think I'd notice a steady weight if I were moving regularly.

Thank you!

HW 303, pre op diet 284  CW 278

facetedginger
on 10/15/18 7:56 am

I personally haven't had much luck with fiber pills but they do work for some.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/15/18 9:04 am

This is not normal. Even if you had it since being a child.

I had issues with BM, and I had "constipation due to stress of travels"

I now make sure I have good, complete BM every day. I take a lot of magnesium, and I take a lot for miralax. Doc approved and recommended talking enough to have comfortable BM. I drink a lot of liquids. 100-120 per day.

Fiber constipstes me. Fiber slows down transition time on my bowels.

There was studies that indicate fiber may be not recommended for people with constipation.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

TripleAxel
on 10/16/18 5:02 am
VSG on 09/20/18

This is just an odd tidbit, but I have found that Kozy Shack no sugar added pudding seems to help me along. It has xylitol in it, which can have a mild laxative effect. It doesn't give me gas or anything, just seems to help move things along, and it's only 90 calories so won't break your diet.

Age 56. HW: 233 SW: 214 VSG 9/20/18, Hosp. of the Univ. of Pennsylvania, Dr. Noel Williams

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 245 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 313 views