Recent Posts

catwoman7
on 7/30/19 6:50 am
RNY on 06/03/15
Topic: RE: Another stall!

it's an individual thing. I think I had three the whole 18 months I was losing - but some people have them A LOT more frequently. The stair-step pattern of weight loss (lose some - stall - lose some - stall - rinse & repeat) is fairly common...

DianneMN
on 7/29/19 9:43 pm
VSG on 02/24/14
Topic: RE: VSG - 10 Years on. Weight Gain - Reflux etc

First off, do not have a surgeon who is willing to do a bilateral replacement. That's a red flag, high risk for infection, possible amputation if one knee gets infected, increases the risk of complications. I know that wasn't your primary question.

I had my surgeries 6 months apart. Had I known the 2nd would not go like the 1st, I would have waited 9 months.

The first 2 weeks were rough sleeping, thankfully I have a power recliner. It was a good 2 months before I could sleep in the bed due to the pain rolling over.

Make sure you do the post op flex exercises. After the 2nd surgery, the PT orders were geared towards strengthening whereas, the 1st surgery flexibility was stressed. My surgeon apologized because he did not emphasize the flex based on how well the 1st went. What happened? Scar tissue, some people are more prone to develop, moi. The scar tissue was the worst, it hit 4 weeks post op and I stood the risk of his putting me under to remove it. Apparently it's extremely painful. Anyhow I worked so hard, went through stretching exercises that I had to take the hydrocodone prior to.

My intent is not to discourage you, rather prepare yourself for the emotional piece and down days. Have a spinal and a block. I was so scared of the spinal, I didn't even feel it. When the block wears off 24 hours later, the pain sets in.

I want to stress, no 2 people have the same experience. Nor are our knees the same. The 1st was a better recovery than the 2nd.

While I have clicks, totally normal. I have no arthritic knee pain! No cartilage crunching!

My surgeon was very strict with the BMI, he started out that I had to lose 15 # in 6 weeks. No way, I'm on a med that messes with my metabolism plus sedentary due to pain. He gave me a break, I lost 8#, he knew I was doing my best.

Finally, research, research, research surgeons. I doubt you live in MN, my surgeon was awesome, part of the Allina System. When you go to your preop appointments strike up a conversation with a post op patient. If they have a negative story find out why, if it's the doctor run. Easier said than done.

Summary, of sorts:

1) Find a reputable surgeon; 2) do pre op knee / buttock / lower back strengthening exercises, the more strength you have going into surgery the easier the post op PT/ endurance. 3) One knee at a time, if you're able space them out, at least 6 months apart. I had little choice due to my work. 4) Take your pain meds, if you're at a 8-9 it's out of control, you will be miserable, and unable to do your PT. Use caution of course if you've been through treatment, could be an an issue. It wasn't for me because I'd go to hell before treatment again. However you can balance the pain, the meds, and PT is the key to success.

Sorry for the book, hopefully this is helpful. Like I tell people, take what you need, and leave the rest.

All the best to you. And no, I do not regret having replacements. I don't want to do it again, but I would if something were to happen.

HW 310 prior to WLS decision; 301 11/2013; Pre Op 274 on 2/24/2014; CW 233

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/19 6:39 pm
VSG on 03/21/19
Topic: Another stall!

This will be my second stall and I know it will pass but just feeling frustrated. How many stalls on average do we go through or is it an individual thing?

On the upside I've been taken off high blood pressure meds today and high cholesterol meds have been reduced to lowest dose of 5mg. Yippee

jacreasy
on 7/29/19 10:35 am
VSG on 04/23/12

Im 7 yrs out, no gerd issues but have gained 40-45 lbs back I believe it came from knee surgery and a break up at the same time in 2015. However I was going to the gym 6 days a week for 2 hrs and then couldn't bc of surgery. soooo here I am trying to lose again. You need to go back to basics and do what you were doing in the beginning. Its not easy but you have to remember this is a tool and just bc you might get a revision it will not stop old habits from coming back once again. You have to change the way you mind thinks. Good Luck

(VSG)  HW, 346 SW, 341 CW 176.2 GW, 165  kiss

jacreasy
on 7/29/19 10:32 am
VSG on 04/23/12

I also need two knee replacements, how did that go?

jacreasy
on 7/29/19 10:28 am
VSG on 04/23/12
Topic: RE: What are you eating today 7/18/19?

7 yrs post-op

I fast till 11:00 am

B- 1 fried egg, avoc, roasted sweet potatoes

L- Pulled pork lettuce wraps, side salad w W30 homemade ranch

D- Grilled chicken salad

S- Watermelon, Greek yogurt

* Normally I eat more but Im trying to lose 40 lbs of regain

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/28/19 8:50 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
Topic: RE: I'm so frustrated. Somedays I feel cursed - only 3lbs weight loss in the SECOND month post op.

Protein is important, but ultimately it's calories that determine weight loss. If you're getting 80g protein but consuming 2000 calories, you won't see much weight loss.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Round_Tiger
on 7/28/19 6:47 pm
VSG on 07/09/19
Topic: RE: I'm so frustrated. Somedays I feel cursed - only 3lbs weight loss in the SECOND month post op.

I experienced a stall (and even gained 3 lbs in that stall) in my 2nd week after surgery. Like you, I was freaking the ** out! I was lucky if I was even hitting 800 calories with what I was eating, and walking everyday on the treadmill. There was no possible way anybody eating that little and doing cardio every day would not be doing what it took to lose weight. With or without the surgery. I made a post on here, did lots of reading and watching videos, and finally talked to my doctor's nurse practitioner (the doctor who performed the surgery). This is what I got from all of that:

Your body has a system that is calibrated between your weight and basic health, and this system is controlling your metabolism rate and hunger. When we lose a bunch of weight, this system detects that and thinks we're starving. So it slows metabolism way down, and will try to increase your hunger (good luck). So when we experience a stall, understand that it may be something you're not doing right, but it is much more likely that this system I described is doing its job and putting the brakes on losing anything. Once it stabilizes out and finds synchronicity with all factors involved, then is when you will start losing. In laymen's terms, when it catches its breath on the weight we are losing, it chills out and we start losing again (provided we're doing what we're supposed to be doing).

In my humble opinion, if I were you I'd continue to follow the plan but realize this is what is happening. Don't freak out and try to reinvent the wheel here. The whole thing makes sense if you stop and think about it. The body is an amazing thing. And if you graph the progress of losing weight on a daily basis, it will not be a perfectly straight line. It is in the very beginning, but for me it's starting to get much more slowed down, and I'm fine with that. A realistic goal I set for myself was a pound a week. If I lose more than that, freaking awesome! If I don't hit that, keep nose down and full speed ahead, it'll happen. I think our will power alone is something that is absolutely necessary to continue on this journey.

kocindy
on 7/28/19 6:32 pm
Topic: RE: Did my doctor make a mistake?

Thank you so much. This is really helpful.

Blood work has always been good, but I've also always eaten a little more protein because it was easy to meet the goal. But I was never deliberately aiming for numbers as high as yours.

I DID have LOTS of hair loss. I could never figure it out. This might be why. I don't know.

Will ask my doctor just to be sure.

But your reply is very insightful. Thank you.

And good luck with getting your labs back up.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/28/19 4:33 pm
Topic: RE: Did my doctor make a mistake?

Lately I was not eating enough because my blood work showed very low proteins.

My personal goal for proteins intake is app 100-120 grams per day. And trying to have proteins at every meal, even if it is a small amount.

The most important is how are the results of your blood work? Are you at least maintaining your muscles mass?

For an adult male - I saw recommendation of 65-100 grams of proteins, but 2x as much during recovery from any surgery, or while weight lifting/ body building.

When my daily proteins intake is less than 80-100 grams, my blood work often shows deficiencies.

When at my goal weight, or below, and I need to make sure my body doesn't use the proteins as energy. I need to make sure my meals have more proteins and other foods my body can use as fuel. I often pair my proteins with fat, i.e avocado, mayo, or even butter to top my steak with it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views