Need help - am losing hair

travelbaby
on 8/27/12 7:37 am - PA
RNY on 04/23/12
Hi,

I'm 4 months post-surgery (RNY) and I've been experiencing a lot of hair loss. I know that is a sign of not enough protein, which I was having trouble getting in enough a couple months ago, but for the last month, I've been adding protein shakes every day and hitting my 50-60 grams/day goal and sometimes more. I'm not sure why I'm still having so much hair loss.

Is there anything that will help stop the hair loss? I thought I saw someone mention a vitamin that you could take to help with that. Does anyone know what that is?

Thanks!
DeAnna

Highest weight:  270
Weight before surgery:  265
Current weight:  137
Goal weight:  135

TerrIaf
on 8/27/12 1:20 pm - GA
 Your hair loss is Norma's after any type of surgery. Hair grows in three month cycles so in a couple more you should stop shedding so much. Just keep eating your protein. 
travelbaby
on 8/27/12 4:57 pm - PA
RNY on 04/23/12
Thanks so much. Good to know I wasn't doing anything wrong that it wouldn't stop.

kmsbanr
on 8/27/12 8:30 pm - CT
RNY on 04/10/12
While that is true about having surgery, Biotin has been reccomended to help it not be so severe and your protein is very important. I take 5000 am and pm.   Idk but so many say it doesn't help but my hairloss wasn't too bad when I used it and that is Nioxin products including the serum and lotion.  My hairdresser thought my hair was thicker but it might be changing my color.  So I stopped and today the most in the shower everThink I'll start using it again.

travelbaby
on 8/28/12 10:15 am - PA
RNY on 04/23/12
Thanks so much for the info. If the hair loss keeps up, I might try out Biotin to see if that helps.

Best,
DeAnna

Not the Same Dawn
on 8/28/12 8:35 pm - BEE EFF EEE, CA
I still take biotin. I won't ever have a thick head of hair myself..it's just not what I've ever had but when it did get really thin, I went in and the hair dresser told me that it was growing in, just that it had broken off on the ends..so I had her trim off the long part and started over. Used to be that a barrett wouldn't hold it cuz I was using BIG barretts..moved to the smaller barretts and now have to get the big ones out again cuz it seems to be thicker.
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
Kim5515
on 8/30/12 11:58 am - Bonney Lake, WA
I had the same - 4 to 6 months after surgery, I was convinced that I would be bald very soon.  My hairdresser took pity on me and shared many stories of how anesthia causes this issue.  True to her word, my hair started coming back in month 7 and I now have a full head of hair again.

Hang in there - this too shall pass. Even after that trauma, my surgery is the best thing I've ever done!

Take care,

Kim

Kim  
HW 315 /CW 152/ GW 148

travelbaby
on 9/4/12 7:25 am - PA
RNY on 04/23/12
Thanks Kim!

Kim H.
on 9/4/12 5:47 am - Duluth, MN
I was worried about the same thing. I had blood tests done and nothing was lacking ...protein, etc levels were all good. I am 16 mo. post op (Realize Band) Now my hair is as thick as ever. And I take all kinds of meds for medical conditions. I was told about the biotin, too but my PA said she would not recommend supplements other than the calcium chew and the multi vitamin. I did not NEED the biotin...my hair is just as thick as it was pre op....just my thought...take it or leave it....its out there ..for what it is worth. Have a great Tuesday!

~Kim~

travelbaby
on 9/4/12 7:24 am - PA
RNY on 04/23/12
Thanks Kim!

Most Active
Recent Topics