Term Life insurance

wls_srf
on 1/6/14 1:50 am

I'm 10 years postop and would like to purchase Term Life insurance.  Has anyone experienced issues with life insurance companies denying coverage if your 5 years and longer postoperative?

thanks

Scherrie Tappin
on 1/7/14 2:32 am - CT

I just got coverage from my employer. I was denied many years before and their requirement is two years without diabetes and/or diabetes meds.

RNY 5/25/2011                        
DianneMN
on 1/7/14 11:30 am
VSG on 02/24/14

First off, congrats! If you are purchasing your insurance through an independent agent, they may disqualify based on medical conditions. However, if you are purchasing it through a group (employer plan), they can't deny you coverage. Maybe I've answered my own question. Sounds like you would have if you could have lol

I probably haven't said anything you didn't already know. I guess I'm operating under the assumption that if employers provide term life, there are no hoops to jump.

Good luck to you and again, congrats, fabulous work!

HW 310 prior to WLS decision; 301 11/2013; Pre Op 274 on 2/24/2014; CW 233

Jay from NY
on 1/13/14 11:10 pm - New york, NY

I was able to get a 20 year term policy about 4 years RNY post op.  At the time I was 49 years old and went through a broker who put out my info to his network of providers. Insurance Co. Do not like post op but they will give a policy. For me: Three denied application, one prohibitively expensive and one just plain expensive. DO not expect Their best rates....they will hit you over the head. But  it is doable depending on your overall health and lifestyle factors. Keep shopping around and try a broker if necessary.

wls_srf
on 5/24/14 12:28 am, edited 5/24/14 12:29 am

I wanted to respond to my own question in case someone else needs the answer.

i was able to get $250,000 (20 year term) for $42.88 a month from Banner Life.

Most Active
Recent Topics