proteins

Anita Jo
on 1/28/14 3:28 am - Elmira, NY

i was wondering can you jump start losing weight just drinking protein shakes and protein foods?  Anita

mathea
on 1/28/14 4:25 pm, edited 1/28/14 4:39 pm

As long as you cut back your carbs and fats and total calorie count. It is not protein alone it is an energy in and out formula as well as what you combine together. Most say in weight loss you want a carb count as low as 25-50 depending on gender and size and fats below 20 for sure. Keep your protein count above 60- over 110 depending on gender, activity level and size as well. The point is to try to get your body to burn fat not muscle. You have to have some carbs and some fats it can not be all proteins. You need a balance. The calorie count should be anywhere from 800-1500 for weight loss depending on size and activity as well. So watch your portion sizes of your proteins they can send you way over your daily calorie needs. Have you read about the pouch test post weight loss surgery? It is basically going back to your protein first liquid diet for up to 5 days to test your pouch for size or capacity. Some people do this because they think they can shrink their pouch back down when they find they are consuming higher quantities. I think of it is a reset mentally as well a physically when you find yourself indulging in slider type foods too much. It does not really shrink your pouch it just gets you off that bad habit track of indulging in slider foods. Remember slider foods are foods that you can eat a lot of despite your surgery. Adding exercise, checking portions, making sure you consume lean solid protein first, do not graze, make sure that you are tracking your calories, separating fats from carbs in your meals, getting enough water and fiber, all help jump start weight loss. Do not forget to drink water to burn fat.  You need to increase your water intake if you are exercising a lot too. Hope this helps.

I can not access my signature to change the type in it: my current weight is 149 pounds, I am trying not to loose anymore weight I wear a size 6 tall skinny jeans and size 4 tall regular jeans.

HW252 SW230 CW154 surgery April 4, 2013 Dr Elias Ortiz

Anita Jo
on 1/28/14 9:23 pm - Elmira, NY

i dont know what to do a year ago i was 143 pounds today i am 187 pounds... 

datachick
on 1/30/14 2:38 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Consult a nutritionist, go to a support group meeting, crank up My Fitness Pal, maybe check in with a therapist to figure out what is going on so you can fix it forever....

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

NorthernGem
on 1/30/14 8:17 am - Sudbury, Canada

Ive lost 22 pounds in less then a month and half from changing my diet no grease no sugars no pizzas no fast food etc. I drink a protein shake everyday and eat 3 times a day I eat everything that has good Protein counts in it and walk for 30 mins or more. I also use My Fittness Pal and I input everything that goes into my mouth and each exercise I do. Its an amazing tool and its FREE.... It is doable trust me I did it and if I had known it was this easy I would have done it years ago.

Referral July 2, 2012 * Ultrasound and Upper GI,  November 12, 2013 * Met Surgeon and Endoscopy, January 29, 2014  *Orientation April 2, 2014 *  Physiotherapist, *Social Worker,  April 25, 2014  * Nurse Practitioner, May 7, 2014  * Nutritionist, May 7, 2014  *Call from Pharmacist, May 8, 2014  * Breast Screening, May 9, 2014, * Sleep Study Test, May 16, 2014  *Surgery Date Fall / Winter 2014* 

Anita Jo
on 1/30/14 9:26 pm - Elmira, NY

thanks northern gem. i will give that a try. fitness pal ? is that for cell phones? if so i cant do it i dont have a cell phone.

NorthernGem
on 2/1/14 3:56 am - Sudbury, Canada

Hi there Anita Jo,  acutely it can be used on a cell phone and on the computer.  I really like because it keeps track of your carbs fats sugars protein etc I have mine open on my computer all the time Oh yea and it also tracks your exercising you input your movement and it calculates how many calories you burnt. It also tracks your weight and gives you a visual of your weight chart as you go along I really like it. You can even add friends and you can check out their progress if they have it unblocked. Check it out Im sure your gonna like it as much as I do. 

Referral July 2, 2012 * Ultrasound and Upper GI,  November 12, 2013 * Met Surgeon and Endoscopy, January 29, 2014  *Orientation April 2, 2014 *  Physiotherapist, *Social Worker,  April 25, 2014  * Nurse Practitioner, May 7, 2014  * Nutritionist, May 7, 2014  *Call from Pharmacist, May 8, 2014  * Breast Screening, May 9, 2014, * Sleep Study Test, May 16, 2014  *Surgery Date Fall / Winter 2014* 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/31/14 1:26 am

as long as you can cut majorty of starch- sugary carbs ( we do need some ) and concentrate on proteins and fats - you may see a weight loss. 

The Atkins induction phase (with maybe a litle lower fat % - but not fat free) alwasy works great for me. 

Natural fats - nuts, coconut, butter, real meat, olives, avocado etc - are great and get actually help with weight loss...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/31/14 1:29 am

join us on Back on track together group. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/backontracktogether/discuss ion/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics