Have you lost Hair and Have excess Skin?

sarakarolina
on 9/25/14 3:09 am

I am about to go to my orientation and am really on the fence if this surgery is for me.  I am 300 pounds and down in the dumps.  I have tried every diet out there.  Ive tried some twice!   I am afraid that after all the hard work of losing it, Ill end up bald and saggy.  I am only 30.  Im depressed of my weight but wont i get depressed cause of my looks after?  I want to run and would LOVE to be a zumba instructor.  I always said when i lose 100 pounds ill become an instructor... well i can tell ya, im still not an instructor. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Laura in Texas
on 9/27/14 12:33 am

Being 300 pounds, you will most likely have loose skin after losing 150 pounds. I went from 340 to 140 and had tons (but I am much older than you). Most of us have hairloss. I lost hair fro the 3 month until he 7 month mark and started regrowing it around the 9 month mark. Honestly in all my years here I have only seen a small handful of people who still have an issue with hairloss after they reach goal. 99% of us seem to grow it back.

Some people do get depressed about the loose skin. Many learn to love themselves as-is and some of us get plastic surgery. Again, the overwhelming majority of us are so thrilled with the weightloss and getting or health back we would still do it again even knowing we will have excess skin.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

jastypes
on 10/1/14 5:37 am - Croydon, PA

As an encouragement, let me just tell you that MY Zumba instructor is about 7 years post RNY.  She looks AMAZING!!!!!  She is in her 50's.  She says she does wear Spanx-type garments a lot to control the jiggling, but I've seen her body and it really is way more toned than mine is.  She does Zumba 4 nights a week, and I do it once. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

dflprdfan
on 10/5/14 12:58 pm

I had a gastric sleeve in 2010, plastic surgery in Mexico in 2012 and I wouldn't change it for the WORLD!! I wish I had done it sooner instead of wasting so much time on the sidelines watching everyone else have a life. My depression is gone (did therapy too), my high blood pressure is gone (no more meds), and I will never get diabetes (tested pre-diabetic). What I can tell you is that surgery is scary, it is a scary first step and there will be roadblocks (like hair loss), but the alternative is being invisible to the rest of the world, not participating, and dying younger than you should. NOTHING should deter you from getting the surgery! I am now a Beachbody Coach and I help others on their journeys to get fit and eat better. I could NEVER have even imagined me doing that before. I hadn't exercised since high school and if someone had told me I would be coaching others and paying it forward, I would have thought they were a fool.  You can do this - you HAVE to do this to save your life. I wish you the VERY BEST on your journey!

HW 297 / SW 257 / CW 210 / GW 160  

Jennifer K.
on 10/8/14 1:19 am - Phoenix , AZ

It is hard to accept the post-WLS body... I reached a point where I felt it wasnt "fair" that I started gaining weight in 8th grade and was overweight thru HS, but did all this work to lose weight and was stuck with excess skin. Still, I would much rather deal with the excess skin then go back to being overweight. My suggestion is start saving for plastic surgery now and save as much as you can. I wish I had started much sooner. I am 8 years post-op. November I am 3 years post extended-TT and as of last week 3 months post BA/BL and arm lift. 

I never experienced much hair loss, I was 110% compliant with getting in protein and took biotin.

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Most Active
Recent Topics