It is possible!!!

Jaimee21005
on 6/27/15 10:36 pm, edited 6/28/15 2:17 pm - FL

Hello all! I am about 7 years post op gastric bypass... I have not been on this site in many years but i lived on it before my surgery... I just wanted to come back on here and say that in the 7 years I have graduated nursing school and decided that as a side job I would like to counsel people wanting to have the surgery. I lost 150 lbs in less then a  year and I want to let people know that it is possible if you use the "tool" you are provided. Before surgery I was a size 24 and 7 years later I am a size 4.. my daughter that I had in that time about to turn 3 years old. Going through rotations at the hospital where I live and seeing people not have the rules I had when I had my surgery in NC I feel as though the surgery has become a money maker to doctors more then a benefit to patients which is why I want to be an advocate. If anyone has any questions I will be available and willing to help anyone in this journey. I will be active on this site from now on but if you do not get an answer my email is [email protected].... I really want to help fellow GP people!

Laura in Texas
on 6/28/15 6:43 am

Good for you. I had surgery the same month as you and have managed to lose and keep off my excess weight, too. Personal responsibility is key.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

lynnc99
on 6/29/15 7:47 am

YES!!!!

It's possible! 

But you are right in that there is a ton of $$ motivating surgery right now (follow the money, as they say) - as well as patients not understanding the lifelong responsibility that we take on with surgery. 

I am interested in doing some freelance writing related to dealing with the regain phenomenon. Looking for an outlet for where that could be published and formulating a survey for 5 year plus post ops. Who knows - this could end up being my "book"!!!

Jaimee21005
on 6/30/15 7:50 pm - FL

If u are interested I'm writing I'm def ok with giving some stories of my past if u want to add! It's been a long tough journey.. But worth it!

lynnc99
on 6/30/15 9:06 pm

Jamie thank you! If you would message me your e mail address I will add you to my contact list for a future project. 

But of course....you could always share some stories right here for everyone's benefit!

JB1114
on 7/14/15 7:48 am, edited 7/14/15 7:48 am - Grain Valley, MO

I'm 7 years out too as of 7/8/2015.  I'm considered a lightweight.  My doctor's goal was for me to lose 85 lbs.  I lost 70 lbs. the first year and never got to his goal.  I was so pleased with how I looked, being able to shop in the Misses dept. and being off all meds except thyroid that I didn't really try to lose any more.  My surgeon provided a lot of information prior to surgery but I didn't get the message that after that honeymoon period, you have to watch your weight just like anyone that hasn't had surgery.  My thinking was I had the surgery, didn't eat large meals so I was no longer going to gain weight.

WRONG!!  Over the years I've regained 12-15 lbs. and haven't been able to get it off.  One issue I had was grazing.  So, I put a stop to that.  I still have snacks but it's part of my overall day's food intake.  

Now, I would like to get the goal my doctor set which means losing 12-15 lbs. of regain plus 15 more lbs.  Some days I think I can and most days I'm really discouraged and feel it's not possible.  I'm thinking about going back to the surgeon although I won't actually meet with him, I will see the dietician and the exercise guru.  My PC has my blood work checked every year.

Your input would be appreciated. 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

slrm2m2
on 10/6/15 12:08 pm - Canada

Great thread to read. I'm almost 4 years out and I regained 30lbs, now have lost 8 of those. I was still within healthy BMI even with regain, but for me it is about the personal responsibility piece, self care, following the guidelines and being in it for the long haul. Its not about what I can get away with eating and still kind of stay slim enough.

To the poster above that wants to write a book (sorry, didn't remember your username), I would love to read one that speaks to the challenges and successes for long term. So much is focused on the first year or two, and that is not a good indicator of what it means to live the rest of your life with an altered digestive system. Maybe an anthology so that many individual voices can share their experiences directly. I would love to contribute my experiences thus far. At this stage, one of the biggest things I realize is that paying it forward to those earlier along the path is one of the ways I can keep my food demons in check.

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

Most Active
Recent Topics