Had Suregery 11 months ago ....

cell5211
on 9/11/06 8:33 pm
I had the the weight loss surgery Gastric Bypass 11 months ago the first 11 months was easy for me... I have lost over 120 lbs and feel great .. I can see where I have moved into the next phase of my journey .. I can finally say for the first time since surgery I get hungrey now .. I am finding my self starting to snack and not make the healthiest choices... I knew I needed to get firm hold on my eatting before it gets a hold of me .. I would still like to loose another 25-30 lbs .. One of my changes in my life is to communicate with others that are on the same journey... Would appreciate communicating with anyone to enjoy and strengthen our journey for life... :) Tami
LINDO4744
on 9/12/06 1:13 am - SAN ANTONIO, TX
Hi Tami, congratulations on your weight loss. I had my surgery (RNY) three months ago and I have only lost 40 lbs. To me it seems like the weight is coming off very slowly. Maybe it's just me. I read about so many others who have had the surgery and it seems like they have really lost alot of weight. So I am impatient. I guess I will have to just wait and see how my weight loss goes.
cell5211
on 9/12/06 5:28 am
Thank you so much.... I tried staying positive and focused on eatting properly that was what got me through my first 11 months... You will do great !!
Mickey
on 9/13/06 8:46 am - Rockville, CT
Hi Tammy, I had the surgery April 2005, and am almost 15 months out. I found after a year I started getting hungrier and was able to eat more during my normal feedings. ( I freaked out of course) panicking I'd put on weight. I've lost 132 pounds and pretty much have stabilized at around 150 pnds (give or take I'm flexing 3 pounds up & down). I'm happy with where I'm at and getting ready to go in for reconstructive surgery in October. My suggestion and this is from trial & error...if you need to "snack" be disciplined about it to your 3 meals w/2 snacks. Make sure they are as high protein as possible and dense. It will keep you fuller longer. Cheese w/whole wheat crackers melted, beef jerkey, Weigh****chers has a high fiber/protein cereal that is VERY dense & keeps me full. If you can locate it...definately grab a box it's very yummy. Hard boiled eggs or some chicken/egg salad w/a few trisquits (lower fat) ends to keep me filled up. Cheese cubes with some grapes.. High protein & dense is the way to go. Higher the protein the better off you'll be. Inbetween feedings..make sure you "water load" as this will help you feel full longer too as well as help w/your liquid in take. My "vice" is ice cream love the stuff... if I need to have a treat I put some in a small 3 oz container and it is sugar free/lower carb/lite so I don't sabatoge myself. Then I get back on track. Sweets were my "addiction" prior to my RNY surgery so I make desserts that I know I can have that won't "hurt" me or make me want to eat the whole thing. I don't keep them in the house & bring them to work & leave them there...everyone else eats & enjoys so I don't have the "demons" in my house to tempt me. I "dump" with any sugar free products that are high in "sugar alcohol" so it keeps me sane & honest. I hate that feeling and can't imagine toying with "real sugar". Bread & rice do not sit well with me so I don't really miss it. Some people can eat it fine. Try not to "graze" it's hard...& I find during my visit from "aunt flo" all I want to do is eat...but I have recognized what is going on...& adapt my eating habits...I have beaten myself up many times over what I feel is "over eating" but I also step back and look at what I did eat...fruit...grains...protein..veggies....so I count it a success. I'm eating any where from 1/4 cup to a full cup during my meals which I guess is about average for being this far out... You've come along way in under a year...step back & look at the differences in your life since the surgery...how much you have gained with a healthier life style. Whenever I see myself in a full length mirror...I start crying...and get emotional...that is what keeps me motivated....I'm no longer trapped in a 282 pound body...I'm healthy and I'll be around to see my son grow up.... We're all here to support each otherTammy that is what is soooo great about this network. If there's anything you need or just wanna chat please know I'm a holler away. Hugs, Mickey
Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 282 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 542 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 530 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3593 views