African American Hair Loss

hazzard
on 12/22/08 4:10 am
Is there any sistas (African American Women) out there who have issues with their hair thinning after WLS?  I'm three week out from having LAP RNY and My hair is really kinky and and has thinned a lot.   I am in bad need of a relaxer.  I was told not to relax my hair until I stabalize.  Hello I can not wait that long to have my hair done.  Is there anyone out there who has relaxed their hair and still have hair on their heads to talk about it? Please give me any suggestions you can render.  I go back to work on the 1St of the new year and do not want to show up looking crazy.
themakingofme
on 12/22/08 11:55 am
I am new to the site and my surgery is scheduled for Jan. 15, 2009.  I'm very excited but also wonder about the hair loss thing.  I'm not a hair dresser and do not have my hair relaxed (they break me out :(  Currently, I have my hair washed & conditioned really good (under hair dryer for 30 to 45 mins., pressed, and flat ironed.  I know its a lot of heat but my hair has kept up with no problems.  It think it works because I never use heating appliances between appointments.  I wrap my hair at night and the style will keep for at least a week to a week and a half (like a press and curl).  Needless to say, I have good hair days and bad.  If I get caught in the rain or I am in a lot of humidity, then all bets are off.  But I am hoping that this practice will serve me post-op.  Good luck! 
hazzard
on 12/23/08 4:57 am
Hi, Thanks for the good advice.  I am a relaxer person and always have been.  Not to sound shollow or anything but I don't think that I would be able to handle going natural.  What about when you start working out?  How will you maintain then? You will need to work out to lose and then maintain.  You will be sweating daily.  Just a thought.  Congratulations on your surgery date.  Keep in touch. 
Merry Christmas.
themakingofme
on 12/23/08 2:49 pm
I hear you.  I relaxed my hair for almost 30 years until I realized my scalp could not take it any more.  I've been natural for 4 years now.  Don't get me wrong, I miss it at times - shop time was quicker. :) I also worked out at the gym during this time, sometimes 2 to 3x a week.  It was not so bad, as my hair has adjusted; it stays pretty much in tact until I can get to the shop.  Merry Christmas to you too, Thank You and if you find another option I would love to hear about it.
virtly
on 12/28/08 8:02 pm - va
RNY on 02/11/04 with
Hair loss is common for most people. Try biotin, which should help with your hair and nails. There is a Black American Forum that you can ask questions that speaks directly to the concerns of African Americans, such as lupus and sickle cell anemia. Come on over and enjoy. Go to the top of the page under forums and you will find the different forums that may interest you.
Raven
hazzard
on 12/28/08 10:19 pm
Thank you Raven.  I'm familiar with the site. I think I will post a question there today.
themakingofme
on 12/29/08 6:35 am
Yes, thank you Raven.  I will head over to that site as well.  I also, recently heard about Biotin and will include it in my vitamin and mineral consumption.
AngieB67
on 1/1/09 7:11 am - Bel Air, MD
I just wanted to put in another plug for the biotin.  I experienced the same thing after my WLS.  Make sure you increase your protein too.  That is key to getting things back on track. 

I can't offer any styling tips as I have thick hair too but mine is locked.  Fortunately, I didn't lose any of my locs but my hair did start thinning right around the temple of my forehead for a few months.  Is your hair long enough to wet set or leave in twists?  Probably the less manipulation the better.

But don't worry.  It will grow back!

---------------------------------

hazzard
on 1/2/09 9:18 am
Hey angie thanks for responding. I still hav'nt started using the Biotin, because every time I go looking for it I can't find it. Is it a pill? or is it a shampoo? What does the bottle look lkie? If you could supply me with a name and web site that would be great. Happy new year.
thafatchick
on 1/4/09 6:43 am
Hi.  I had surgery Oct '08.  I had a relaxer but thought I would do it while at hotel.  I didn't.  I relaxed about 3-4 wks post-op.  I will say that I have gone back and forth with relaxer and natural and my hair has always shed.  I haven't really noticed too much so far.  I am considering going natural this year.  I love my natural soft curly hair.  I currently have a relaxer with just enough new growth to do the big chop.  Then in a year I will probably go back to a relaxer.  Then back to natural....I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.  I don't think it will matter.  Just used a mild if you are worried.  Hair is such a sensitive issue for persons of African descent. 
ThaFatChick
Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 279 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 540 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 527 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3588 views